Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Default NFL: NFL referees will sport new uniforms this season

NFL official Steve Zimmer talks to the Giants' Jacob Bell while sporting his new uniform for the upcoming season.
    ALBANY, N.Y.-- Coming this fall to an NFL stadium near you: fashion-forward referees.

Gone are the traditional vertical black-and-white stripes that have been a staple of the league seemingly since its inception and which live on in Foot Locker stores and DJ booths around the country.

In their place is a flashier look that features wide white stripes and thin black stripes that flare around the shoulders and upper arms.

In addition to giving their annual lecture on rules changes for the upcoming NFL season, several referees debuted the new threads this week at New York Giants training camp.

Not everyone was enamored of the new look.

"They should be riding on a horse at Saratoga," one spectator cracked Thursday while watching the officials oversee a practice session.

Making a fashion statement was not the primary motivation behind the decision to make the change, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. First was the desire for a lightweight, more efficient fabric that would be cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather.

"The material of our shirts was very heavy, so everybody wanted a different material," said Walt Coleman, an NFL referee with 18 years' experience. "Everybody loves the material, and the shirts are really comfortable. I think everybody's just not totally sold on the style. My son said to me, 'I can't believe you're changing your shirts!"'

The second aim was to make the uniforms more easily accommodate the gear referees need to carry, Aiello said, which includes more layers of clothing in colder weather.

"The biggest reason we changed was to upgrade the performance quality of the uniform," he said. "The third reason was to give the uniforms a more modern, updated, distinctly NFL look."

Referees will wear the new Reebok-designed shirts and the traditional white knickers for most games, and will switch in cold weather to black full-length pants that will allow more room for additional layers.

Aiello wasn't sure when the league switched to the vertical stripes, but noted that NFL referees in the 1930s wore "solid white dress shirts with bow ties and beanies."

When asked his opinion of the new uniforms and whether he would have an easier time locating referees during games for a little spirited exchange of ideas, Giants coach Tom Coughlin replied, "Are you kidding? I'm just glad to have them out there. And I've usually been able to find them pretty well."
    Associated Press
    'Without Order Nothing Can Exist - Without Chaos Nothing Can Grow'

On the bench!

they are just THICKER lines I like the old ones better

Old = The New New

and there is a difference? lol

They look the same to me. Dont really need to pay attention to the refs anyways :hmm:
    Everyone's favorite old person is back... or is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Appels
    They look the same to me. Dont really need to pay attention to the refs anyways :hmm:
    It's not that you have to pay attention to the refs, but these new uniforms will basically make you pay attention. They are so gaudy that your eyes shift to them once the guys come into the picture. The black lines overdominate the white ones and make the shirt stand out way too much. Plus, they look horrible as well.

Old = The New New

Quote Originally Posted by digitalv
    It's not that you have to pay attention to the refs, but these new uniforms will basically make you pay attention. They are so gaudy that your eyes shift to them once the guys come into the picture. The black lines overdominate the white ones and make the shirt stand out way too much. Plus, they look horrible as well.
    man, I watch the game for football, not the refs... damn fuckers making the shirts more noticable. *shakes fist*

Ring Crew

All it is is thicker lines like brandon said and it is true who cares about the refs its all about the cheerleaders!!!

Old = The New New

I dont really pay attention to the cheerleaders either, unless I am at the game. I watch football...for football