Quote Originally Posted by NFL.com
ASHBURN, Va. (Aug. 14, 2006) -- Washington running back Clinton Portis is out for the remainder of the preseason and his status for the Redskins' opener is uncertain after he partially dislocated his shoulder in a preseason game.

Portis flew to Alabama for another MRI and further examination on the left shoulder, which he injured while tackling cornerback Keiwan Ratliff following an interception in the first quarter of a 19-3 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals on Aug. 13.

Coach Joe Gibbs said Portis' shoulder was sore and that the back, who ran for a club-record 1,516 yards last season, would begin rehabilitation once the soreness abates. The coach essentially ruled out Portis playing again in the preseason and instead focused on the Sept. 11 game against Minnesota.

Clinton Portis has four weeks to heal in time for the season opener.
"We would hope that he would be ready for the opener," Gibbs said.

Gibbs also defended the use of Portis and his starters against the Bengals. After the game and again Aug. 14, Portis questioned why he should have been playing in the first preseason game. The starting offense was on the field for 13 plays.

"If you back off that, you hurt the preparation for your team," Gibbs said. "It's the toughest thing in football. It's a balancing act."

Portis was hurt when he launched himself into an upper body tackle of Ratliff, who had run 52 yards down the sideline after picking off a pass from Mark Brunell.

After the game, Portis criticized the NFL's preseason with the same ferocity he used in tackling Ratliff. Portis said that four preseason games were too many and indicated if there's one good thing to come out of his injury, it's that it ought to keep him sidelined until the regular season.

Portis was still upset the next day, his crankiness augmented by a lack of sleep. "Any way I rolled, it hurt," he said. He was also concerned that opposing tacklers will target the shoulder once the regular season begins.

"I don't know why myself or any other player of my caliber should be playing in the preseason," said Portis, a sling over his left shoulder as he departed Redskins Park for the trip to Alabama. "I think for the last four years I've done enough to show the world I'm going to be ready for the season."

Portis said he had a similar injury to his right shoulder in high school, and this one was not as serious.

Portis is a major part of the Redskins' attack. He set a franchise record with nine 100-yard games last season, and his five straight 100-yard games in December and January coincided with a five-game winning streak that led to the team's first playoff berth in six years.

There have been frequent calls in recent years to shorten the number of exhibition games from four to two. Critics cite the risk of injuries and that players no longer need the games to get in shape because most take part in year-round conditioning programs. Two years ago, the Redskins lost tackle Jon Jansen for the season with a ruptured Achilles' tendon in the first preseason game.

Ironically, Portis would be in greater danger of missing the opener if there were only two preseason games. As it is, he has a nearly a month to heal for the regular season instead of a couple weeks.

Gibbs said Portis' comments were made in frustration, and the coach declined to pass judgment whether four preseason games were too many. He did say, however, that the Redskins began training camp as late as possible and did not have live tackling during practices, so the games were important for all of his players regardless of the risk of injury.

"You don't want to run the risk unless you feel it's something super important," Gibbs said. "And it is."

Portis' injury wasn't the worst of the night. Running back Kerry Carter, vying for a roster spot in a crowded backfield, tore two ligaments in his right knee and is out for the year. Reserve linebacker Chris Clemons, a pass-rushing presence on third downs last year, sprained a ligament in his left knee.

"They're telling me four to six weeks," said Clemons, who sprained his right knee late last season and missed the playoffs. "I was getting double-teamed. I got hit from the side and my leg crumpled. I heard a pop."

The injuries to Portis and Carter left the Redskins thin at running back. Second-stringer Ladell Betts missed the game with a hamstring injury, and first-year player Jesse Lumsden did not make the trip because of a hip flexor. Rock Cartwright is currently the team's best healthy back, although Betts and Lumsden could return this week.
Courtesy of NFL.com

heh digital. At least he will be back for the season, or else, you might have had some troubles in your fantasy football.