Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

The Mac

Default Couture Talks About The Future

The time has come for former UFC champion Randy Couture to be "rational" about where his fighting career is headed, the 47-year-old MMA veteran told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour.

Despite his three-fight win streak in the UFC, including victories over fellow former champ Mark Coleman and boxer James Toney in 2010, Couture said he doesn't see another title shot in his future.

"I think that realistically the end of me making runs at the title was a while ago," said Couture. "I've had a great year. I've had some great fights. Not too many of them really put me in line to be a number one contender or make a run at the title. To be honest, I just don't see myself doing that at this stage in my career."

Not that he's necessarily declaring his retirement from the sport altogether, Couture was quick to add. Having tried that once before, "The Natural" said he wouldn't rule anything out when it comes to his athletic future. Still, having already cemented himself as a legend of the sport with a decorated career in the UFC, Couture said he doesn't feel as if he has anything left to prove in the cage.

"I've had my battles. I've had my wars. I think there are a lot of guys out there who are hungry and out there and ready for those kinds of wars. I'm kind of in transition and still enjoying competing at a high level, but I think I'm going to definitely focus on making some more movies and heading in that direction."

In addition to his role alongside Bruce Willis in the upcoming action film "Setup," Couture also said he hopes to be cast in the sequel to "The Expendables," with filming set to begin in March. Such a busy schedule doesn't leave much time for training and fighting, he said, even though he said he feels that "style-wise" he matches up relatively well with UFC light heavyweights like Lyoto Machida or even 205-pound champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

"I think some of it boils down to what I really want to do," Couture said. "I'm trying to make smart decisions. I have all this other stuff going on, and timing is everything. The timing seems right for me to look at those things and to be rational and to really look down the road."

Couture added that he might consider another fight if the UFC were to offer him something "interesting," but estimated that there was about a "60 to 70 percent chance" that he wouldn't fight at all in 2011.

"I've had very candid discussions with [UFC president] Dana [White] about where I'm at and what I'm focused on," Couture said. "I think he understands. I think he gets the timing of it and I think he gets where I'm at and where I'm coming from. He's been very supportive. That doesn't mean he doesn't have his own ideas about what he'd like me to do, but I think he's been very understanding."

And if it happens that his first-round submission of Toney in what was essentially a novelty bout at UFC 118 in August was the last time he ever fights professionally, Couture said, he can live with that.

"If that's the way it goes, I'm absolutely happy. I've been having a blast. It was amazing, this last twelve months and fighting four times from August to August was incredible. Some of those fights were very memorable and they were a lot of fun to train for. So, if [Toney] was the last one, then I'm absolutely okay with that."

(< . . o . . PowerPill! Smartmark's Avatar

I don't hope he retires yet. I would like him to go at least a couple more years.

Travicity

Maybe a couple more fights but if he loses them then maybe.

The Mac

couple years? cmon man the guy is old he should retire and make some big money in hollywood

Yeah, in a couple years the dude will be 50, there's no way he'll be doing it that much longer. He's manage to keep his career going and managed to continue to consistently win time and time again and I think it'd be in his best interest to retire while he's still ahead and on a high note, rather than ending up like so many others, retiring after a losing streak. I do think he should have one more fight though, just so his last one isn't against Toney, lol and maybe have it Couture vs. Liddell, with it being both of their last fights.

Travicity

He deserves to make more money and relax in hollywood yea but a retirement match soon and not just end it needs to be special :cry: