Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Mac

Default Dana White Comments On Superfight

UFC president Dana White has a simple take on a potential superfight between UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (21-2 MMA, 15-2 UFC) and current middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva (27-4 MMA, 12-0 UFC).

If you want it, let's do it.

Following another dominating performance by St-Pierre in the featured matchup of Saturday's UFC 124 event, White said the Canadian superstar has nothing left to prove at 170 pounds; likewise for Silva at 185.

"Every time a guy goes in and fights, there's always somebody there," White said. "There's always going to be new guys popping up, but when do you say the division is finally [expletive] clean?

"There's still going to be guys there and guys that have won. I mean, it's about time we say both guys have earned their dues. They really have."

In White's mind, at least, Silva's 12-straight octagon wins make for the easiest sell.

"[Silva] is a guy that's wiped out an entire division," White said. "He really has. Anderson Silva, not only has he wiped out the 185-pound division, he also beat a couple of guys at 205.

"This guy has knocked off all the best guys. He hasn't lost a fight since 2006. It's almost 2011."

But White believes St-Pierre is in a similar position. Riding an eight-fight win streak bookended by victories over Josh Koscheck and featuring five-consecutive title defenses, St-Pierre is also in rarefied air, according to White.

"[St-Pierre] has cleaned out the division now," White said. "Georges St-Pierre has beaten everybody. He lost to (Matt) Serra, but he came back and avenged it. That's what it's all about for me.

"I don't like guys fighting each other at different weights until they've done what those two have done, and they've both done it."

For St-Pierre, the prospect is not one he takes lightly. If he makes the leap to 185 pounds, he wants to leave the welterweight division behind for good. He knows he'll need to pack on weight to compete in the middleweight division, and he believes trying to bounce between weightclasses is detrimental to one's timing as a fighter.

Silva, of course, currently has Vitor Belfort in February, and "The Phenom" is certainly not to be taken lightly. Meanwhile, St-Pierre has expressed his interest in fighting at April's UFC 131 event in Toronto, which would be a quick turnaround for Silva, even if he does get past Belfort.

Which leaves, perhaps, at least one more fight for St-Pierre at 170 pounds. On Saturday, White again confirmed that slot is Jake Shields' for the taking, and St-Pierre professed his interest in the matchup.

"I like watching [Shields] fight," St-Pierre said. "He's a very meticulous fighter. He's a very technical guy. He's a brilliant submission artist. I like to see him. He's one of the guy I like to see the most.

"He beat up guys at 170 and almost everybody at 185. He fights in both weightclasses. He's amazing."

Silva claims he may actually be able to drop below 185 pounds for a one-time blockbuster matchup with St-Pierre. White finds that incredible for the sometimes-light heavyweight, but he's certainly open to the idea.

Of course, fans would probably much prefer a five-round title affair than a three-round catchweight contest for the once-in-a-generation matchup of the world's top two fighters.

And it may just be Belfort and Shields standing in the way because White certainly isn't.

"If Georges said he was going to go to 185 and stay there, then it would be for the title," White told MMAjunkie.com "It would be a superfight for the 185-pound title.

"It's hard to say no. It's hard for me to say, 'This fight doesn't make sense.'"

This fight needs to happen and now it seems to be closer than ever. One more fight for each of them sounds good, but that fight needs to happen.

The Mac

ya... and GSP will decison silva

I think after Silva fight Okami and Belfort, and GSP takes out Shields and either Kampman or Condit. Then this fight should go down. so I think that this fight should happen in early 2013 or late 2012. But we need to see this fight, but I dont want to see it until they both cleaned their divisions

gfx credit: Role Model

"The best in the world" Andre Jones
    Triple Crown Winner
    2x LOW Heavyweight Champion
    2x Mr. Money in the Bank
    2013 Superstar of the Year
    1X Universal Champion
    1X LOW Tag Team Champion
    42-18-2 1-NC

Ashley Lane
    1X Women's Champion
    6-4-1

The Mac

i think it will happen in 2011 maybe early 2012, if silva beats okami i think gsp will get his shot at the middleweight title then shields would face fitch i think for the vactant ufc welterweight title

(< . . o . . PowerPill! Smartmark's Avatar

Oh yeah! That fight will be awesome! No doubt about that!

UFC should do more Superfights to be honest.

The Mac

not many other superfights to be made imo

(< . . o . . PowerPill! Smartmark's Avatar

^^ I can think of a few to be honest

The Mac

then name them

Travicity

Silva v GSP is the Ultimate Superfight for meI can't really think of anything else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast