Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    On the bench!

Woodgate & Huth £6m sign for Boro

Middlesbrough have completed the double signing of defenders Jonathan Woodgate and Robert Huth.

Real Madrid and England centre-half Woodgate, 26, has moved to the Riverside on a season's loan with the option of making the deal permanent.

German international Huth, 22, has signed a five-year contract after completing a £6m switch from Chelsea.

Boro boss Gareth Southgate told the club website: "This is a significant coup and a big boost."

He added: "Both players have a point to prove - and the great thing is that they want to do that with Middlesbrough. I'm absolutely delighted."

Woodgate, capped five times by England, was also a target for Newcastle as well as Bolton.

But the lure of getting his career back on track playing for his hometown club proved too strong.

The former Leeds and Newcastle defender has been plagued by injuries since moving to Spain in a £13.4m move in August 2004 and has only played 14 games for Real Madrid.

Southgate has been tracking Huth for most of the close season but the towering defender's move fell through because of an ankle injury picked up while on World Cup duty.

Huth failed a medical in July but Southgate maintained his interest and promised to monitor the situation.

Credit - BBC Sport

Default Soccer:Celtic complete Gravesen capture

Thomas Gravesen was in Glasgow for his medical
    Celtic have confirmed the signing of Denmark midfielder Thomas Gravesen from Real Madrid in a transfer deal believed to be worth about £2m.

The 30-year-old has signed a three-year contract, with Celtic having the option of a further 12 months.

Gravesen said: "I am delighted to have joined Celtic, one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"Having spoken to the manager, the chief executive and other people at the club, I am excited about this move."

Celtic had faced competition from four English Premiership outfits - Newcastle, Bolton, Middlesbrough and former club Everton - for Gravesen's signature.

But he arrived in Glasgow on Monday for contract talks and a medical, only to join up with Denmark's international squad without an announcement being made.
    Thomas has shown great desire to play for Celtic

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan
    Reports of problems resulting from an old knee injury circulated overnight, but the Scottish champions have now announced that Gravesen has signed a contract.

"The team did brilliantly last season to win the championship and together we will be trying to retain the title and do as well as we can in the Champions League," he told Celtic's website.

"I know other Danish players who have had the opportunity to play with Celtic and they have nothing but great things to say about the club.

"I have also visited Celtic Park for matches, where the atmosphere is tremendous, and I am very much looking forward to playing there."

The Dane left Everton for Spain in a £2.5m deal in January 2005 but made just 26 appearances for Real.

His latest move was confirmed moments after the £6.5m sale of fellow midfielder Stilian Petrov to Aston Villa was officially announced.

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan said: "Thomas has shown great desire to play for Celtic and it is very clear that he is looking forward to joining the club.

"He is a player with great ability, experience and character - qualities which could enhance any team."

And Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell added: "It is fantastic that we are able to welcome a player of Thomas's quality to Celtic Park."

Gravesen will meet up with his new team-mates next week after Friday's friendly against Portugal and his country's Euro 2008 qualifier away to Iceland next Wednesday.
    BBC
    'Without Order Nothing Can Exist - Without Chaos Nothing Can Grow'

On the bench!

West Ham sign Tevez & Mascherano

West Ham have pulled off a major coup by signing Argentina World Cup stars Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

Striker Tevez, 22, and midfielder Mascherano, 22, join the Hammers from Brazilian side Corinthians on permanent deals for undisclosed fees.

The pair have been linked with moves to Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.

But the Hammers are thought to have struck a deal with Media Sports Investments, who own the rights to the two players.

MSI were linked with a takeover of West Ham last season but eventually pulled out.

The club said: "West Ham United are delighted to announce the double signing of Argentinian World Cup stars Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano from Brazilian club Corinthians.

"The pair have been signed for an undisclosed fee and put pen-to-paper on permanent contracts with the club this afternoon. All other aspects of the transfers will remain confidential and undisclosed.

"The transfers represent a massive coup for the Hammers, who have beaten off some of Europe's biggest clubs to secure the services of the duo."

Both Tevez and Mascherano returned to Argentina's squad for Sunday's friendly against Brazil at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium after signings their deals.

Credit - BBC Sport

On the bench!

Srnicek makes return to Newcastle

Newcastle have re-signed former goalkeeper Pavel Srnicek on a short-term deal until January.
    The 38-year-old former Czech Republic star spent seven years at Newcastle after joining the club from Banik Ostrava in 1991.

He has been brought in after Shay Given was sidelined for a lengthy spell with a stomach injury sustained at West Ham.

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder said: "Watching him in training this week I have to say he is in great shape."

After leaving Newcastle, Srnicek had a second spell at Banik.

He then played for Sheffield Wednesday and Brescia in Italy before having short spells with Portsmouth and West Ham then trying his luck last season with Beira Mar in Portugal.

Roeder said: "We invited him to the game with Everton last Sunday from Italy, where he is living at the moment, and he made such an impact on us we then asked him to train with us this week.

"He's 38 but he really is super-fit and there is no way anyone can say he is past it. And don't forget keepers like David Seaman played until they were 40.

"I have to say that Pav has looked great in training and by bringing him back until the end of the year it will be great for our team spirit."

Credit - BBC Sport

Default soccer: Basile tells Argentina duo to move on

Argentina coach Alfio Basile has told Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano to leave West Ham for the sake of their careers. Both players have struggled for form since joining the Hammers in a shock deadline-day move from Brazilian club Corinthians at the end of August.

The Hammers have failed to win since their arrival, and Basile claims the two young players - stars for Argentina during the summer World Cup - are simply going through the motions in the Premiership.

"I hope both of them leave that club as soon as possible," he told TyC Sports.

"I think they are half-hearted and I'm really worried about that. They play as if they are unenthusiastic.

"I hope for God's sake that Mascherano can go to Juventus as it has been said, even if he has to play in the second division (in Italy).

"And Tevez can play in any position in the attacking line, but not as a left-winger like he is currently playing."

i don't think that they should leave west ham just because the argentina manager wants them to leave. the only problem is that it's hard to gets used the pact of the premiership, but i think once they get used to the pace of the premiership i think they will show what potential they have and i can see them being successful in the premiership
    Last edited by AFC1986; 10-06-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC1986 View Post
    Argentina coach Alfio Basile has told Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano to leave West Ham for the sake of their careers. Both players have struggled for form since joining the Hammers in a shock deadline-day move from Brazilian club Corinthians at the end of August.

The Hammers have failed to win since their arrival, and Basile claims the two young players - stars for Argentina during the summer World Cup - are simply going through the motions in the Premiership.

"I hope both of them leave that club as soon as possible," he told TyC Sports.

"I think they are half-hearted and I'm really worried about that. They play as if they are unenthusiastic.

"I hope for God's sake that Mascherano can go to Juventus as it has been said, even if he has to play in the second division (in Italy).

"And Tevez can play in any position in the attacking line, but not as a left-winger like he is currently playing."

i don't think that they should leave west ham just because the argentina manager wants them to leave. the only problem is that it's hard to gets used the pact of the premiership, but i think once they get used to the pace of the premiership i think they will show what potential they have and i can see them being successful in the premiership
    I think they SHOULD have joined the premiership but not west ham and joined a bigger club!

Current Rank
    Prestige Level 3

Level 48

On the bench!

L'om reveal Wenger talks

Marseille have confirmed that Arsenal chief Arsene Wenger has spoken with them about Franck Ribery, but denied an agreement with the English giants was already in place.

French sources have long claimed Arsenal were leading the chase for the French international, despite strong interest Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Manchester United.

Again it was suggested only last week that Arsenal had managed to broker a deal for next summer which would have seen Ribery move to North London at the season's end.

However, L'OM sporting director Jose Anigo has denied Arsenal have already clinched a deal for one of the most in-demand players in world football.

"It is very clear that there is no agreement with Arsenal or with any other European club," Anigo said.

"Indeed Arsenal did come to discuss with Pape [Diouf, Marseille president] and Arsene Wenger spoke to him about it, but there were also discussions with other large European clubs.

"I could list them all but I would not have enough fingers on two hands to count them."

Anigo also seemed to dismiss any suggestions that Ribery could move in January.

"Franck is much coveted for sure and he has a certain price today. But our objective is to reach a place in the Champions League and for that it is necessary to keep out best players," he told Marseille's official website.

"So I do not see why we would discuss the departure of Franck, as we have high hopes and we want to keep our best elements to go in the right direction.

"If we do not manage to qualify for the Champions League, inevitably it will be necessary to raise the question [of his departure].

"But I repeat there is no agreement with Arsenal or another club, whether through me or Pape Diouf."

Meanwhile, Anigo reaffirmed Marseille's dream to see Didier Drogba back in the white of Marseille.

The Ivorian hit-man left for Chelsea in 2004 - but he is still a firm fans' favourite at The Stade Velodrome and the player himself admits he would love to return to the South Coast of France.

"At the moment we need to speak of Djibril Cisse, he is today the one we miss," he said.

"But to see Didier Drogba alongside Franck Ribery, it would be the dream of any trainer or sporting director," he said.

"But an absolute ideal would be to have Cisse, Drogba and Ribery. That would be extraordinary, why not? No door is closed in any direction here.

"But we cannot get carried away, we have managed to have Djibril Cisse and Franck Ribery and if we qualify for the Champions League we will certainly have the facility to keep these players."

Credit - Sky Sports

Default O'Neill hints at Larsson move

credit: www.skysports.com

Martin O'Neill feels Henrik Larsson could still hold his own in The Premiership, amid speculation the Aston Villa chief may make a January move for the Swede.

Larsson headed away from big time football on a high in May when helping Barcelona claim the UEFA Champions League trophy.

He signed a deal with Helsingobrgs in the summer and made it clear he wanted to finish his career on Swedish soil.

The comments may not deter O'Neill who is said to be plotting a bid to lure the marksman to England in January.

Larsson enjoyed some of his best days in football under O'Neill at Celtic and the Villa chief is convinced the striker would prove a hit in The Premiership.

"It is only May time since he came on and changed a European Cup final, which used to be a relatively important game," O'Neill told Sky Sports News.

"So I can't imaging him having lost the sparkle and enthusiasm and fitness in three or four months."

Villa have made a superb start under O'Neill but it remains to be seen if it is enough to persuade Larsson to uproot his family.

Default Permanent Wigan deal for Kirkland

crediit: www.bbc.co.uk

Wigan have signed goalkeeper Chris Kirkland on a permanent deal from Liverpool until 2009.
    Kirkland, 25, initially joined the Latics on a six-month loan deal in the summer and has been ever-present for the Premiership outfit this season.

Wigan boss Paul Jewell said: "It was always our intention to make the deal permanent. It's great news that we've got it all sorted so quickly."

Kirkland joined Liverpool for £6m from Coventry in 2001.

But he fell down the pecking order because of injury and spent last season on loan at West Brom.

Kirkland, who made his international debut in England's 4-0 win over Greece in August, said of his move: "I'm really pleased that my future is now sorted.

"It's been great since joining Wigan, we have a tremendous set of lads and the gaffer has been different class.

"This is an ambitious club that is going places and I'm delighted that I'll be part of that."

Jewell is delighted with the quality of goalkeepers he now has at the JJB Stadium.

He said: "I'm blessed with three excellent keepers in Kirky, Mike Pollitt and John Filan, who's currently on loan at Doncaster. The competition is fierce and that's how I like it."

Default LA Galaxy admit Beckham interest

credit: ww.bbc.co.uk

The Los Angeles Galaxy have confirmed they are interested in signing David Beckham if the former England captain fails to renew his Real Madrid deal.

Out of contract in Spain at the end of the season and no longer a first-team regular, the 31-year-old midfielder is believed to be considering a move.

"There are thousands of clubs out there that would love to have a player of his calibre," said Galaxy boss Alexi Lalas.

"And the Los Angeles Galaxy is certainly one of them."

Beckham, who played against the Galaxy for Real in a pre-season game in 2005, has already said that he would like to end his career in the US.

"I've one year left at Real, and maybe two more after that, but things can change in football and the American league does interest me," said Beckham.

"I want to be part of a country that is passionate about sport. And I've got my academy in LA, which is important to me because that is my life after the game."

But when he made those comments in April he was still a fixture in the Real first team and captain of England.

Things have changed considerably for the former Manchester United star in the intervening months.

Dropped by new managers at club and country, Beckham is now stalling on extending his stay in Madrid and believed to be reconsidering the final chapters of his playing career.

Beckham's Real Madrid displays are little more than cameos now
    As well as the Galaxy, Celtic, Spurs and Israeli club Maccabi Netanya have been reported as possible destinations for the high-profile star.

The two British clubs, however, have recently distanced themselves from a possible move for Beckham and the prospect of the player going to Israel seems remote.

Speaking to BBC Sport, Lalas, the Galaxy's president and general manager, made it clear that Beckham would suit his team, signal their intent to compete on the world stage and be good business for Major League Soccer.

"For many people the Los Angeles Galaxy are looked upon as the jewel of MLS," he said.

"We play in the best stadium, we have had incredible success over the history of the league and we have had great individual players and great teams. There is a tradition of excellence.

"All of this leads to this race to become the first 'MLS super club', if you will.

"That is something we aspire to and in order to do that you have to have quality players, a direction and passion, a good coach and credibility domestically and internationally.

"Signing players of (Beckham's) stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction, not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America."

When asked for a firmer statement of intent regarding a possible bid for Beckham, Lalas was careful not to say anything that could be regarded as 'tapping up'.

"A move for Beckham is not something we need to discuss at this point because he's under contract with Real," he said.

"But if that changes, and there's an opportunity, of course we'd be interested."

The former US international did, however, admit that the Galaxy's owner, sports conglomerate Anschutz Entertainment Group, has a close relationship with Beckham.

His academy shares a home with the Galaxy just outside LA at the 27,000-seat Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

Lalas also said that with the Galaxy missing the MLS play-offs for the first time in 10 seasons he was planning a major overhaul of the team during the close season.

One possible stumbling block for a Galaxy attempt to sign Beckham would be the salary cap rules that exist in the MLS.

The rules were introduced when the league was set up in 1996 to ensure a level playing field and prevent any repeat of the excesses that brought down the North American Soccer League in the early 1980s.

But Lalas confirmed that the 12 team owners are due to discuss a loosening of these rules, a move that would make marquee signings more likely.

"We recognise that when opportunities that will benefit the entire league come along we have to be able to make adjustments," he said.

"I feel that going forward there will be the ability for the individual teams to do something like (sign a player of Beckham's stature)."

What remains to be seen is if Beckham feels his days as first-team player for a major club - and country - are genuinely over.

Despite the huge strides made by American soccer and the MLS a move to the US would still be seen as an admission that his career is winding down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast