Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC Cut Thread

I always liked Horodecki, thought he was an underrated fighter and at only 23 he's got a lot ahead of him, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him resigned by the UFC in the future.

The Mac

Default UFC 125 Fighter Cut

Phil Baroni's second stint in the UFC is over.

The hard-hitting middleweight, who suffered a TKO loss to undefeated up-and-comer Brad Tavares at this past weekend's UFC 125 event, was subsequently released by the world's biggest MMA promotion.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the roster move with sources close to Baroni (13-13 MMA, 3-7 UFC). The 34-year-old's release was first reported by Versus.com.

The always-entertaining Baroni has already received offers from at least five different smaller organizations according to sources close to the "New York Bad Ass."

Baroni debuted for the UFC in February 2001. A former bodybuilder, Baroni earned a unanimous decision over Curtis Stout at UFC 30 before dropping a majority decision to Matt Lindland at UFC 34. The brash slugger bounced back with a TKO win over Amar Suloev at UFC 37 and then notched a career signature victory with an 18-second knockout of former UFC champion Dave Menne at UFC 39.

Baroni then dropped four-straight fights in the octagon and was released by the UFC.

The brash New Yorker then signed with the Japan-based PRIDE organization, where he went 4-2 in a six-fight run that included a memorable two-fight battle with Ikuhisa Minowa, as well as four stoppage wins.

After brief stops in the Strikeforce and EliteXC promotions, Baroni returned to the UFC in November 2009. The fan-favorite suffered back-to-back octagon losses to Amir Sadollah and Taveres before receiving his walking papers.

The Mac

Default Yet Another Fighter Released at 155

After 15 fights, four fight-night bonuses, a spot on the organization's reality series, former welterweight title contention, and a handful of high-profile international fights, Marcus Davis (17-8 MMA, 9-6 UFC) received his UFC walking papers following a UFC 125 loss to Jeremy Stephens.

Davis' manager, Joe Cavallaro, today confirmed the release with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

The 37-year-old will continue fighting in MMA professionally, and he'll do so at 155 pounds with the hopes of getting back to the UFC.

Davis, fighting for the first time since a drop from welterweight to lightweight, met fellow striker Stephens on the ION Television preliminary card of the Jan. 1 UFC 125 card. Davis wobbled his opponent in the first round and was positioned for a close decision victory, but Stephens connected on a perfectly placed right hook that set up his KO win in the third round.

Davis, a former pro boxer (16-1-1) who went 13-1 from 2006 to 2009 in MMA, now has lost four of his past five fights. The other losses, though, came to notables Nate Diaz, Dan Hardy and Ben Saunders.

"He felt real strong at 155 (pounds)," Cavallaro said. "He made a mistake. The guy's been fighting forever, and he has no plans of retiring. Between all the 'Fight of the Night,' 'Knockout of the Night,' and 'Submission of the Night' bonuses, he's showed that he's a very exciting fighter to watch. Now, it's just a matter of figuring out the next move. We're talking to a few people right now."

Cavallaro said the comfortable weight cut and otherwise solid performance convinced Davis he should keep fighting.

"If he'd taken a sustained beating and didn't look good or didn't look sharp, maybe we'd be having a different conversation," he said.
    But he did none of those things. His weight cut was perfect. He felt healthy. Like he said, he thought he was winning that fight, and he just got caught. Jeremy Stephens is a very tough kid, and that's what his bread and butter is. He can stop you at any time. But hats off to Jeremy. He stayed in the fight until the last second."

Davis first joined the UFC in 2005 as a cast member on "The Ultimate Fighter 2," but as a fairly one-dimension striker, he lost an opening-round matchup to eventual show winner Joe Stevenson. He then dropped a TKO (due to cuts) to Melvin Guillard at the show's live finale and was released for the first time.

Davis, though, dedicated himself to the sport and specifically jiu-jitsu improvement. He won 13 of his next 14 fights, including seven via submission, which included a return to the UFC in 2006. Over the past few years, he's been a fixture on the UFC's international cards. Eight of his past 11 UFC fights came in overseas markets.

In the meantime, he and Cavallaro are preparing to field offers.

"I'm open talking to anybody who's interested," Cavallaro said.

The Mac Says: I bet he will sign with MFC here in edmonton....quite a few released guys end up here

The Mac

Default Finally "The Truth" is gone

Light heavyweight Brandon Vera (11-6 MMA, 7-6 UFC) and lightweight Antonio McKee (25-4-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) are the latest fighters looking for work following losses inside the octagon.

The fighters' reps today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that both have been released by the UFC. FiveOuncesofPain.com first reported the releases.

Vera and McKee both plan to soldier on following UFC 125 losses.

"Sometimes the highest-paying opportunities are not the best opportunities," Vera manager Matt Stansell told MMAjunkie.com today.

Vera suffered his third consecutive loss this past Saturday at UFC 125 in a bout with Brazilian slugger Thiago Silva. Although he came out markedly ahead in standup exchanges, Silva took the fight to the mat and dominated there.

In an unusual display of aggression brought by Vera's in-fight trash-talking, Silva opened his clenched fists and slapped Vera repeatedly in the head while holding top position. One of those shots badly broke Vera's nose.

Going into the fight, Vera acknowledged it would be his last chance to keep his job. But he also said he'd matured as a fighter and no longer was the cocky fighter that underestimated opponents and paid for it.

"My team got on me," he said. "My coaches got on me. People smacked me around and told me to get it together. I think I got it together. I'm ready to show that."

Vera's prior fight had brought heartache as well as a headache. He took on red-hot Jon Jones at UFC on Versus 1 this past March and suffered a fractured orbital bone that prompted a TKO loss. The injury put him on the sidelines for much of the year.

Stansell said Vera already has interest from several promotions, though he declined to name them.

Meanwhile, McKee earned his UFC contract this past September after an 11-year career in MMA that saw him rise from regional standout to folk hero among hardcore fans of the sport. He had racked up 11 consecutive wins outside the UFC and took to Internet forums in a campaign for the big show. As is turns out, the industry-leading promotion was listening, and he inked a four-fight deal and a first booking against Jacob Volkmann at UFC 125.

In a long and sometimes-dull affair, the two grappled their way to a split decision with Volkmann ruled the winner on two judges' cards.

It looks like its back to the minors for McKee at the moment.

"Time for me to get my hustle on now, homie," McKee said in a text message. "No looking back. (I'm going to) destroy anything and everything in my way."

Travicity

UFC 155? I havnt watched that :o .

Dosent bother me tbh not a big loss.

The Mac

155 pounds dude

Travicity

Thought you messed the thread title up saying someone who was at 125 got cut .

The Mac

no lol... vera got cut too btw

Travicity

Aw well guess he was losing his touch. Would be nice to see more WEC tbh and replace and fresher matches etc.

The Mac

ya but all those matches the wec guys have are prob win or ur fired with onl a few exceptions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast