When Spencer Fisher (24-6 MMA, 9-5 UFC) and Ross Pearson (11-4 MMA, 3-1 UFC) clash at in the octagon at this weekend's UFC 127 event, there's little doubt how the fight will likely play out.

With a history of entertaining slugfests dotting both fighters' records, the two UFC lightweight contenders are expected to go toe-to-toe until one of them drops.

"I don't think it's a surprise what either one of us plans on doing," Fisher said. "I think we're going to go out there and throw down, and I think the guy that can stick to his gameplan is going to win this fight."

Fisher and Pearson clash on the preliminary card of UFC 127, which takes place Sunday at Sydney, Australia's Acer Arena. Due to the time change, the bout airs live in the U.S. on ION Television Saturday night prior to the evening's pay-per-view broadcast.

Pearson, who recently saw a four-fight win streak snapped in a submission loss to Cole Miller, said the matchup is one he's been anticipating for quite some time.

"Spencer Fisher has always been a name that's popped up in my mind," Pearson said. "I'd think, 'They've got to put me and Spencer together sometime.' Here's the time."

For the scrappy Brit, Fisher provides just the type of opponent he prefers to face.

"It's the type of fight I like to fight," Pearson said. "He puts everything on the line. He's a good all-around fighter – exciting, comes forward, aggressive. He knocks guys out, submits guys, and fans love to see that."

Indeed, they do. Fisher has provided numerous memorably moments during his five-plus year run in the octagon. And while Fisher is just 1-2 in his past three fights, he believes the skills he's developed during 14 UFC appearances will carry him to victory over Pearson.

"He's never faced somebody with the speed that I have, the tenacity that I have and bring to the cage every time," Spencer said.

Oddsmakers have installed Pearson as a near two-to-one favorite in the matchup, but Fisher is unquestionably a live underdog. The only safe bet is that the two won't be engaging in any of UFC president Dana White's dreaded Ultimate Staring Competition matchups.

"You know how he is, and you know how I am," Fisher said. "We're coming to fight, and I don't think there will be anybody sitting on their butt during this fight."

Pearson shares the sentiment.

"It's going to be an exciting fight," Pearson said. "I have no doubt he's going to come rushing at me.

"We're going to meet in the middle. We're just going to collide. It's going to be great. It's going to be good fun."