Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Default Georges St- Pierre vs. Nick Diaz Official for UFC 158 in Montreal

GEORGES ST-PIERRE VS. NICK DIAZ OFFICIAL FOR UFC 158 IN MONTREAL
    BY JOHN MORGAN ON DEC 15, 2012 AT 9:55 PM ET

LAS VEGAS – Sorry, Johny Hendricks (14-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC). You're going to have to wait. The next contender to the UFC's welterweight title is none other than former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC).

UFC officials on Saturday announced that Diaz will face current champion Georges St-Pierre (23-2 MMA, 17-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC 158, which is expected to take place March 16 in Montreal.

St-Pierre spoke to the media in Las Vegas at Saturday's The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale event, where he explained his logic for taking the fight with Diaz: In his mind, the fiery Californian is the division's true No. 1 contender.

"I'm doing a favor for the fans and everybody," St-Pierre told MMAjunkie.com. "That's a fight that I think is going to sell the most and the one fans want to see. The UFC is going to want this big fight. This is the fight people want to see."

"I do feel bad for Johnny Hendricks, but put yourself in my shoes. It's a big fight. This fight was waiting to happen for a long time. It's a big fight, and people want to see it.

UFC boss Dana White first teased the possibility of booking the long-awaited matchup earlier this month at a pre-event press conference for UFC on FOX 5.

"Georges St-Pierre went on vacation," White said. "When he came back, we were talking about Anderson Silva. He said, 'I want Nick Diaz. Me and Nick Diaz have unfinished business. We were supposed to fight. That's the fight I want now.'

"Georges St-Pierre has been a phenomenal champion, a phenomenal human being and just a great guy to work with for us. He doesn't ask for things. If he wants to fight Nick Diaz, and Nick Diaz wants to fight him, that's probably the fight we'll make."

To no one's surprise, Diaz accepted.

St-Pierre and Diaz were originally scheduled to fight in October 2011 at UFC 137, but Diaz failed to show for a pair of promotional appearances and was pulled from the bout. In an odd twist, he was later placed back on the card against B.J. Penn after St-Pierre was forced to withdraw from the event with a training injury. The St-Pierre vs. Diaz bout was later planned for UFC 143, but St-Pierre was also pulled from that card, which allowed Carlos Condit to step in and defeat Diaz in a hotly-contested unanimous decision and claim a UFC interim title belt. Diaz then tested positive for marijuana metabolites in a post-fight drug screen and was subsequently suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission through February 2013.

Diaz, known almost as much for his trashtalking and aggressive demeanor as for his ample fighting skills, has long been under St-Pierre's skin. Following Diaz's UFC 137 win over Penn, White said the French-Canadian made an impassioned plea to face the hot-headed Californian.
    Last edited by Swinny; 12-16-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Main Eventer

Understandable that GSP wants Diaz for marketing, financial and personal reasons - so GSP destroys Diaz at UFC 157 and what then?

GSP vs Henderson would be a very good fight - I would like to see that later in 2013 (around August or September) - but again - what then?

Anderson Silva vs GSP will not take place then I think Silva is 38/39) then. Also he will/should have 1 more fight before a GSP bout...

So the bout we hopefully see 2013 is Silva vs Jones!

Quote Originally Posted by muzi View Post
    Understandable that GSP wants Diaz for marketing, financial and personal reasons - so GSP destroys Diaz at UFC 157 and what then?

GSP vs Henderson would be a very good fight - I would like to see that later in 2013 (around August or September) - but again - what then?

Anderson Silva vs GSP will not take place then I think Silva is 38/39) then. Also he will/should have 1 more fight before a GSP bout...

So the bout we hopefully see 2013 is Silva vs Jones!
    Do you mean Henderson or Hendricks? Because Hendricks is what has to be next, assume he beats Ellenberger, because he's getting screwed not getting a shot while Diaz doesn't, coming off a loss and a suspension.

As for Silva, he's 37, but certainly not showing it. Couture went until he was 46, so who knows how long Silva can go? Don't think age is an issue for the fight happening.