UFC BOSS DOESN'T BLAME BELLATOR FOR ADVERTISING DURING UFC BROADCASTS
BY DANN STUPP AND JOHN MORGAN ON DEC 16, 2012 AT 8:30 AM ET

LAS VEGAS – It's not surprising Bellator has started a big promotional push for the start of next month's eighth season and its long-anticipated move from MTV2 to the higher-rated Spike TV.

What is, perhaps, a bit surprising is Bellator promoting the season during live UFC events, including FX's airing of The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale on Saturday.

When MMAjunkie.com asked UFC President Dana White about it, though, he said he perfectly understands their rationale.

"Wouldn't you?" White said. "They're doing the stuff they feel they have to do to get some recognition or whatever. I don't blame them. I would, too, if I was them. I'd be looking at everything I could to try to make myself look like the UFC or advertise anywhere near the UFC. I don't blame them."

Before the UFC's move to FOX (and FX and FUEL TV) this year, the organization spent seven years with Spike TV. With the move, though, that opened the door for Bellator, which Viacom (MTV2 and Spike TV's parent company) acquired in late 2011, to take the Spike TV slot.

The UFC and Bellator had often maintained a civil relationship, especially as Bellator slowly built a following on former broadcast partner ESPN Deportes and current partner MTV2. But the organization clearly expects to get to the next level in 2013, and they've reserved some of their biggest fights and biggest fighters for Spike TV, which begins airing Bellator events on Jan. 17.

Other than archived UFC footage, Spike TV has been unable to air MMA content in 2012. But with the UFC library-rights deal ready to expire at year's end, the channel is playing up the "Coming Home" angle with Bellator and MMA, as can be seen in ads such as the one above.

The effectiveness of the ads can be debated, but the message it sends to the UFC is clear: The organization plans to be a legit competitor. White, though, said there's nothing the UFC can do to stop the organization's promotional efforts. But he doesn't really consider it much to worry about anyway.

"What you can do is what they're doing – they go into the local markets and they buy local advertising," White said. "It's not a big deal. More power to them."