Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

JRs full blog - Tue, 04/02/2013

JR's RAW Thoughts..WM29..Mauro Ranallo Podcast..WWE Super Store..Charlie Chaplin, Really??

Busy day...busy week...headed to Newark soon to begin WrestleMania activities. Let's roll...

The key elements on Monday Night Raw stood out to me quite vividly. WM29's three, marquis matches all got ample attention and what was presented worked for me.

Thought that the final segment of Raw involving Taker and Punk was controversial and dramatic and it made me want to see the match between the two even more. I can certainly see where some viewers were uncomfortable with the presentation but perhaps that was the intent.

Mark my words, @CMPunk vs. Undertaker will be tougher than a $2 steak to follow.

The hay is in the barn for Rock vs. Cena. It;'s been over a year since this rivalry started and Sunday is the time for the talking to end and the show closer to deliver. Following everything on the card and attempting to engage the audience who has been at the stadium for hours is daunting but that comes with the territory. I have every belief that the two men that I signed to WWE contracts will rise to the occasion.

Thought the addition of HBK in HHH's corner vs. Brock Lesnar was a timely touch and that Paul Heyman was excellent on the mic representing his client. Slobber Knocker time for the Cerebral Assassin and the former WWE and UFC champion without question. This one won't be a Brisco vs. Funk catch as catch can masterpiece but it will be car crash-like.

I see some sweet chin music in @HeymanHustle future in Jersey. Just saying.

Sleeper match of the night just well might be Fandango vs. Chris Jericho. Jericho IS that good and many naysayers don't have a clue how good the newcomer can be bell to bell. It's one thing to not embrace a TV persona but to lambaste someone's wrestling ability before it's happened is a head scratcher to me.

Thought @JCLayfield joining @MichaelCole and @Jerry Lawler was a smart move for the three hour show which is challenging to watch with so many commercial breaks. No commercial breaks Sunday obviously on PPV. The three will handle the broadcast Sunday, I read that on the Layfield Report, and I'm sure that they will be great. There really are no other options. It is WrestleMania.

BTW..the @LayfieldReport app is tremendous. I'm on it daily...multiple times. I'm still waiting for the call to provide JBL and Cole some JR's products to use as premiums on their show rather than use me in a dated, Charlie Chaplin reference.

Stay tuned for the Mauro Ranallo podcast debuting this week @mauroranallo as I'm a guest on his first show. Had a blast. Good dude and an excellent broadcaster. I'm proud to call Mauro a friend. Who knows? We might do a gig together some day.

I'm booked at the WWE Super Store on Friday from 1-3 pm at MetLife Stadium and it is free to come in and shop, etc. The Super Store has all of JR's Products stocked and it's a great time to load up and not have to worry about shipping. I will also be personalizing JR's Cookbooks while there if you're interested. We're hoping to sell lots of delicious products especially our five flavors of Beef Jerky.

You can shop for JR's products Thursday thru Sunday at Metlife Stadium at the Super Store but our products will not be available at AXXESS.

My only appearance at AXXESS is Saturday morning from 8-10 at the Legends table which is code for the old guys area. Come by and say hello..autographs and photos abound.

Please say a prayer for the Ric Flair family. Reid will be missed by all of us that knew him. I still can't believe that the 25 year old is gone. I will be so happy to see Ric this weekend. Thanks for all the kind words regarding the blog that i wrote about Reid's passing that is elsewhere on this site.

Pleasantly surprised to see how Naomi has maintained her athleticism as some of her bouts in developmental were excellent in my view.

It's hard to believe that this week marks the 20th anniversary of my debut in WWE. First assignment...doing live, Play by Play at WrestleMania 9...not too shabby. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose, because I was either too naive or too arrogant to be overly nervous before WM9. Best business and personal decision that I ever made was coming to WWE. I could have done without the three bouts of Bells palsy but other than that I wouldn't change a thing. I worked 19 years to get to the big league and to call a WrestleMania event. Quite the over night sensation, huh?

I still say that I haven't called my best match as of yet but that mindset is what drives me and keeps me 'paying attention.' It's just how I'm wired. With that said, to commemorate my WrestleMania 9 debut I'm NOT packing a toga for this trip to Jersey....but I am taking a jacket.

Follow me on Twitter @JRsBBQ as it will be a busy week from New Jersey and NYC.

Boomer Sooner!
    J.R.

Jim Ross posted his latest blog at JRSBBQ.com. Here are some highlights:
    His favorite match at WrestleMania: "My match of the night at WM29 was Taker vs. @CMPunk. Loved @TripleH vs. @BrockLesnar too. Tough act to follow, as I have discussed here for weeks, and going on last is always a daunting experience and it was Sunday for @JohnCena and @TheRock but they came through it well especially considering that Rock had a torn abductor muscle that he suffered early in the bout."

The Rock's injury: "My match of the night at WM29 was Taker vs. @CMPunk. Loved @TripleH vs. @BrockLesnar too. Tough act to follow, as I have discussed here for weeks, and going on last is always a daunting experience and it was Sunday for @JohnCena and @TheRock but they came through it well especially considering that Rock had a torn abductor muscle that he suffered early in the bout."

Fandango buzz: "Not shocked, I wrote about it here multiple times, that Fandango had a solid outing with the great @IAmJericho Chris Jericho at WM29 notwithstanding the point that Jericho's retaliation on Fandango Monday night on RAW was pure textbook. Young wrestlers need to take note of Jericho's unbridled passion And realism in getting a piece of Fandango on RAW. The Fandango buzz is intriguing and it will last as long as his in ring performances hold up positively to his controversial TV persona."

im Ross posted the Sunday edition of his blog online. Check out the highlights:

Last Week’s Rowdy Crowd At RAW: “Speaking of reactions, the live events, RAWS, Smackdown, and the PPVs are the places fans should express themselves and not, as I wrote about recently, at an event like the WWE Hall of Fame. The boorish behavior of a loud, perhaps inebriated, minority of male fans is inexcusable and, believe me, I’ve heard all the excuses since writing about some of the attendees who acted like morons at the 2013 #WWEHOF Induction Ceremony. I see this behavior as a total lack of respect for all involved in the process not just those being jeered. Finally, the “we pay our money, so we can act any way that we choose” excuse is laughable….and embarrassing.”

Ryback Attacking Cena: “Just because @Ryback22 is hungry for the WWE Title and the money that comes along with it why does that motive make the powerhouse a villain? Since when did ambition make one an antagonist. Antagonist display a variety of common traits, non of which I have seen yet, I stress yet, from Ryback. I do like the apparent pairing of Ryback vs. John Cena and where this matter may be heading. To me, it certainly feels fresh even though some will take exception to the fact that Cena is in the equation. It doesn’t both me and I see this rivalry selling tickets and producing a reaction in the arenas.”

Steve Austin’s Thoughts on Fandango: “@steveaustinBSR predicts that @WWEFandango will be IC Champion within a few months. It might not take that long but I could also see Fandango winning the US Title as well at some point. Stars become stars over the long haul and even though Fandango has had an amazing few weeks and change as it relates to recognition, etc, it’s how he does long term that writes his story. If Fandango can continue to grow, a key role at WM30 could be in his future and that’s generally considered the yard stick.”

Credit: JRSBARBQ.com

Jim Ross has blogged about this year’s Cauliflower Alley Club Reunion. Here is what he had to say about the event…

Great time at the 48th Cauliflower Alley Club Reunion this week in Las Vegas. It wasn’t a money making trip as my lovely wife attended and did her part to contribute to the economy of Vegas by doing two days worth of shopping. Seriously, we both had a wonderful time seeing so many old friends and fans that we have gotten to know over the years.

CAC is a great non profit organization that does many amazing, charitable things for those in need from within the wrestling biz. CAC doesn’t look for publicity as many of their benevolent acts would bring embarrassment to many of the recipients. But, take it from me, CAC helps lots of people that you know or have heard of over the years and I’m of the mindset that more people, fans and wrestlers alike, should join the organization. For more info check out the CAC website at http://www.caulifloweralleyclub.org.

I wish the event would be moved to June as I feel that following WrestleMania so closely and while many WWE talents are in Europe and can’t attend doesn’t serve the attendance at CAC well. Two trips in one month are too much for many to endure both physically and financially. Hopefully the CAC Board of Directors will take this into consideration. If they want to grow, get younger, etc then why not have their only, annual fundraiser when fans can bring their children who are in school during the month of April but are available to travel to Vegas in June?

I had the pleasure of presenting Adam Copeland AKA Edge the Male Wrestler Award from CAC in a surprise presentation. Only three people knew of this matter as it was a total surprise to Edge. I followed such powerful and serious presentations as the DDP/Jake the Snake Roberts duo and the late, Paul Bearer/Percy Pringle presentation so I attempted to ad lib my way into a more light hearted mood in what felt like a somber room and rightfully so at that particular time of the evening.

Reading Adam’s resume is really amazing as he’s accomplished and earned an amazing body of work winning over 30 titles in WWE. However, Adam is a much better human being with a kind soul and unwavering character which even surpasses his professional accomplishments inside the ring. The 2012 WWE Hall of Famer is one of my all time favorite signees as we signed him, and Christian, in 1997.

We loved spending time with Adam and his best pal Beth Phoenix in Vegas as Adam prepares for a five month stint of filming the new season of SyFy’s Haven in Nova Scotia, if I’m not mistaken. Adam’s character on Haven has expanded to appear on every episode at this time.

The amazing work that DDP is doing with Jake Roberts is awe inspiring. I met 3 of Jake’s 8 children at CAC and it was a wonderful reunion for the previously estranged family. Obviously, it was a very emotional weekend for the family as the creator of the DDT is well on is way to recovery from drug and alcohol abuse and let’s all pray that he steers the course and reaches his destination. Jake’s speech at CAC was damn amazing as was DDP’s.

It was great seeing Ivan Koloff who has issues getting around and walks with a cane. Ivan is still barrel chested but like many older veterans is ‘shrinking’ or so it seemed. Uncle Ivan was a great hand with amazing endurance and strength back in the day and is now an ordained minister and spends most of his time helping others including speaking with inmates in prison. The former WWWF Champion, who defeated his hero Bruno Sammartino, always treated me wonderfully when I went to work for Jim Crockett Promotions back in the 80′s.

Nora Greenwald aka Molly Holly also received an award, presented by Lisa Moretti aka Ivory, that was well deserved and beautifully received. If more people, men and women alike, had Molly’s character and integrity, the business would be infinitely better off. I hired her on the recommendation of Dean Malenko and even though she did not fit the stereotypical mold of a WWE Diva, Nora was one of the most successful and productive women that ever worked in WWE. She’s now working in a drug treatment facility in Minnesota and is happily married.

Default JR Blog: Attending CAC Event, Edge, New Center

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross has published a new blog entry on JrsBarBq.com. Here are some highlights.

Attending CAC event: Great time at the 48th Cauliflower Alley Club Reunion this week in Las Vegas. It wasn't a money making trip as my lovely wife attended and did her part to contribute to the economy of Vegas by doing two days worth of shopping. Seriously, we both had a wonderful time seeing so many old friends and fans that we have gotten to know over the years.

CAC is a great non profit organization that does many amazing, charitable things for those in need from within the wrestling biz. CAC doesn't look for publicity as many of their benevolent acts would bring embarrassment to many of the recipients. But, take it from me, CAC helps lots of people that you know or have heard of over the years and I'm of the mindset that more people, fans and wrestlers alike, should join the organization. For more info check out the CAC website at http://www.caulifloweralleyclub.org.

Presenting Edge with an Award: I had the pleasure of presenting Adam Copeland AKA Edge the Male Wrestler Award from CAC in a surprise presentation. Only three people knew of this matter as it was a total surprise to Edge. I followed such powerful and serious presentations as the DDP/Jake the Snake Roberts duo and the late, Paul Bearer/Percy Pringle presentation so I attempted to ad lib my way into a more light hearted mood in what felt like a somber room and rightfully so at that particular time of the evening.

New performance center: The announcement earlier this week of the construction and soon to be opened for business WWE Performance Center in Orlando is HUGE news for the long term future and success of WWE and is a personal dream come true for me. Back in the mid 90's when we started the developmental system in such markets as Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati, and Los Angeles, I always wanted to someday have a NFL-like facility where athletes could be trained in all facets of the business. To successfully recruit world class, Division 1 like college athletes, we needed to have a facility that would fit every need and compete with the facilities that many of these high level athletes were accustomed to frequenting.

Credit: Steve Carrier

Default JR's Latest Blog 4/20/13

From jrsbarbq.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ross

Happy Saturday to all! Hope everyone's weekend is enjoyable in every way. Let's GRILL!

Interesting Twitter feedback @JRsBBQ on the new, WWE Performance Center opening soon in Orlando. Mostly positive but there are always some who simply love to embrace their half full glasses.

How can one not think that a 26,000 square foot facility complete with multiple rings, a world class weight room with a full time strength and conditioning staff, a promo area to work on one's natural, verbal skills and a state of the art editing suite won't help develop talent is beyond my logic.

Plus, when one adds a great staff that is skilled and motivated by results and a passion for making the product better to insure the long term success of the genre, it appears to be a winning formula....the proverbial no brainer. For me, it's a dream come true.

WWE will continue to look to colleges, the NFL, etc for world class athletes who have TV friendly personalities and the aptitude for sports entertainment. College athletes will come from wrestling, football, basketball, etc...no sport will be not considered if all the previously listed criteria is in place. For example, I'm planning on attending an upcoming major, Strongman competition just to see if there may be one individual who might have the youth, strength, look and personality for WWE to consider as a potential developmental talent.

For novice athletes who aspire to join WWE, I suggest that you attend a credible wrestling school and obtain proper training. After one gets proper training, do all you can to work as many indy dates as possible, get your body of work in place and then make inroads to WWE Development with a DVD of some of your bouts and of you doing succinct promos.

Would a beginner walk into a NFL training camp and expect a tryout? Obviously, no.

It's sad that some on Twitter associate the Performance Center with what they perceive to be their own personal issues with WWE Creative which isn't a fair association whatsoever. "yeah, but...."

The current WWE International tour is doing sellout or near capacity business nightly which is another statement of the global growth and the massive, media footprint that WWE has established over the years and that continues to grow. I'm of the belief that one of the reasons for success is that WWE tours these areas no more than twice annually. Some international markets are better served once a year while others are still developing their TV following and will be added to the schedule in the future.

Big night for UFC tonight in San Jose on Fox on what I think will be a really fun night of fights. I like @BensonHenderson and his personal 'story' plus the fact that he always has action filled fights. Picking Daniel Cromier, the former OSU Cowboy, to beat Frank Mir in a heavyweight fight. I'd expect a hot, live crowd because of the 'local' influence of many of the fighters on the card and that crowd passion always, or it should, resonate at home.

Had a great lunch Wednesday with my old friend Marc Ratner who is a VP of the UFC and who formerly was the head honcho of the Nevada State Athletic Commission and who governed WWE Vegas events back in the day. Marc took me by his office to show me around and to let me look at his sports memorabilia collection of which I am a big fan. Marc also introduced me to Dana White, Joe Silva and several others including my pal and former OU coach David White who now works for UFC as well. Classy organization and I really appreciated the hospitality and had a blast shooting the breeze with Dana for a few minutes. @DanaWhite is a great follow on Twitter.

Why some folks have issues with me saying that WWE or pro wrestling in general is an entertainment entity is a mystery to me. When I first became a fan of the genre, not unlike football, I did so because they both entertained me. All sports must be entertaining and therefore becomes an entertainment entity. UFC is entertaining and it's damn sure a sport. For example, I don't understand the game of Cricket so I don't watch it and therefore it is not entertaining to me. Not picking on Cricket, just making a statement of fact.

As I said at the @CACReunion, Edge is now a full time cast member of SyFy's 'Haven' and will be shooting the fall's 10 or so episodes near Halifax from May thru September.

I'll never forget the Monday Night RAW we did years ago in Halifax when Mr. McMahon, the King and I were a broadcast team and McMahon had his on camera issues with @BretHart. The skirmish that the two of them had at the announce table created amazing angst in the arena not to mention when we actually walked the two blocks or so back to our hotel from the arena. I vividly remember flying to Nova Scotia on a Saturday to save on commercial airfares for the Monday Taping. I found the Halifax area to be absolutely beautiful.

Watched Brock Lesnar's performance on Raw Monday again on DVR and it always amazes me how naturally animalistic Lesnar is and what an amazing athlete that he is. Lesnar got to the 'first team' quicker and the most effectively of any one that I can recall that we signed back in my era in talent relations. No one we ever signed was more athletically gifted than the former NCAA and UFC heavyweight champion. No one. Brock was making amazing money in WWE quicker than any of his predecessors or any one since.

@BrockLesnar was the best rookie that I recall seeing in WWE.

@americansoda located in Manchester and online at http://www.americansoda.co.uk is offering FREE SHIPPING on their package of JR's products within the UK only thru Friday. Great time to try our four products and not pay for the shipping for those qualifying for this great offer. UK fans...please hurry and order before this offer expires.

Still feel that in many ways WWE is going through a significant transitional period as it relates to up and coming talents and where they are moving. Obviously, upward is the goal and many are heading in the right direction. One thing some fans don't understand is that the spotlight will only shine on a small number of newer talents at a time. The 'rub' or shine a talent gets can't be spread too thin to too many individuals which then becomes a likely failure or, at best, a slow process which then becomes a point of consternation for some fans. Bottom line is that patience is needed during the process but the good news is that when talents do connect with the fanbase that more often than not they generally stay marketable longer.

Some fans also ask about who is the next 'breakout star' and that one is virtually impossible to answer. Honestly, the fans will largely determine such or that 's my take on the matter. Plus, calling up more talents from NXT without the proper spacing and the ability to shine a bright spotlight on them over an extended period of time makes little...i take that back...it makes NO sense. I'd rather see a talent continue to develop in NXT as to come to a WWE roster without a strategic plan of entry plus an extended game plan for their first several months on the roster.

So in other words patience is required as it relates to new talents showing their faces on WWE TV but I do expect some significant call up's during the Summer and Fall and once that WrestleMania is over.

WWEShop at http://www.wweshop.com has some super packages of JR's products that are timely with grilling season upon us. I'm grilling today here in Oklahoma as it's 65 degrees outside. Our products are just as viable in the kitchen which many of you know and have sent us recipes.

WWEShop ships JR's Cookbook signed by me to anywhere in the world without exception I am told.

Our Beef Jerky biz has been jumping off the page as the custom made, hickory smoked . 97% Fat Free Jerky is made in Oklahoma the old school way and not mass produced. WWEShop also has plenty in stock.

The Q&A's are updated here. Quick reads and you actually might learn something....or not.

Lastly, today's independent promotions are NOT the same as the wrestling territories of yesteryear....not even close. Nonetheless, I applaud these promotions for attempting to be successful and WWE will still be recruiting the best of the indies to bring to NXT for further development.

Boomer Sooner!
    J.R. @JRsBBQ

4/21/13

Beautiful Sunday here in Norman, Oklahoma and hopefully where ever you may be as well. Let's Grill!

Obviously I'm not booked on the current international tour and my "talents" (Thanks @KingJames) aren't needed for the two, London TV's. I'm sure that the live crowds will be on top of their game but will they be as raucous as the RAW crowd the day after WM29?

@MichaelCole and @JCLayfield are busy promoting their various projects in London today including the @LayfieldReport and their You Tube show. I admire their ambition and hope that they continue to be successful. The King, of course, will arrive into London on Monday morning, take a nap, most likely, broadcast RAW and then take the first flight back to the USA Tuesday morning. Wham, bam , thank you mame.

I wonder if the trio of Cole, Lawler and JBL are the new, full time RAW broadcast team? If so I think that it helps the three hour broadcast and I've never been one to embrace a three man broadcast booth in WWE or elsewhere within the genre but I do like these three and the job that they do. I'm still not wild about three man broadcast booths in the NFL or the NBA but they seem to work in the slower game of baseball. I encourage you to follow Cole and JBL on Twitter as they keep everyone updated on their various projects.

I filled in for Jerry on the last UK trip in the fall of '12 as I recall and always have a great time there. We have so many loyal fans in that part of the world that they always make me feel great when I'm in their country. One year, I think the year that I flew over and kissed Michael Cole's feet after he had been 'Knighted," I arrived at the same time that the London Marathon was taking place. Our hotel was a couple of blocks from the starting line and allegedly 250,000 people or more were within a few block area of our hotel. So, traffic was blocked off for miles and I walked with someone pulling my roller bag for approximately three miles through the marathon fans, with my black hat in place, taking more photos than one can ever imagine. It was quite the ordeal and certainly a unique way to wake up after flying 8 hours or so.

What's the over/under that me kissing Cole's feet on the night that he was Knighted won't make air Monday night? I'm great with all that if only they would mention our products which are sold on WWEShop.com.

Of course, after weaving/walking our way through thousands of people, I get to our hotel and my room isn't ready so the hotel manager offers to buy me breakfast but, unannounced, decided to join me for an impromptu Q&A session. That lasted two hours but I ended up with a nice room and a full stomach which equated to a timely nap.

Our distributor in the UK area of the world, @americansoda is offering FREE SHIPPING within the UK until Friday on the JR's Sauces Package at http://www.americansoda.co.uk. This is a limited time offer so if you reside inside the confines of the United Kingdom I'd encourage you to consider pulling the trigger on this great offer.

Great job by @UFC and @FoxSports Saturday from San Jose on #UFCONFOX7. The San Jose crowd really helped the show. This was a solid, exciting card from start to finish that kicked things off with an awesome fight between Jordan Mein and Matt Brown. These dudes fought each other like they owed each other money and gave the show a superb beginning. One can't underestimate how important the opening moments of a broadcast are whether it be WWE or UFC, etc.

Some fans got restless during the heavyweight fight between Frank Mir and Daniel Cormier because, I'm assuming, their styles contrasted so drastically to what preceded them and what was expected to follow in the main event. Cormier is going to be problematic with any heavyweight or light heavyweight if that is where he finds himself. Cormier's short, has a low center of gravity, great balance, heavy hands and an amazing, amateur wrestling background that includes Oklahoma State University and the Olympics.

Benson Henson and Gilbert Melendez, who was the local favorite by a mile, had a helluva fight that actually could have gone either way in my novice way of observing their fight. I thought Melendez had won the fight but picked Henderson to win in Saturday's blog.

The crowd was indicative of what you get more often than not when there is a clear cut, fan favorite vs. an adversary who organically assumes the role of a villain. There may be a thin, gray line between good and evil in sports but when the audience declares their vocal allegiance to one fighter over another it makes the process that much more exciting and entertaining.

That concept is why sports teams play home games and few franchises play on 'neutral sites.' The home team equates to being the fan favorites while the visitors are organically the villains.

@UFC also continues to up their game with their pre fight and post fight broadcasts of which I enjoyed. @Sonnench aka Chael Sonnen is a natural born talker/salesman who reminds me of some of the best, former players turned broadcaster in their respective sports and of some of the great, old school, pro wrestlers who were golden on the mic back in the day of adlibs and organic passion when selling tickets was their only source of significant income. Sonnen has done infinitely better in selling the next UFC PPV where he challenges Jon 'Bones" Jones than has Jones which is unfortunate for all involved. Jones should not be pleased with the lack of effort that he has seemingly put forth on promoting a PPV that he is headlining next weekend.

One thing that I felt Saturday night was that Fox was seemingly "in a hurry" to get off the air and hit their top of the hour programming. Would Fox do that with a NFL game? Obviously not. When Fox places @UFC within such a rigid window it really limits the backstage/locker room interviews, the video packages to build the fights, etc. That takes away from the show as it somewhat lessens the emotional investment the fans/viewers need to make to insure that they return the next time.

One area that the MMA fighters of the future must master and make more of a focus is to be able, in an organic, natural way, to market their fights as more PPV's sold equals more money for all involved as a rule. Even if a fighter isn't getting a PPV bonus, helping the parent company get healthier financially is good for everyone in the process.

I used to tell WWE guys that it is our obligation to keep the goose that's laying those golden eggs we all cherish as happy and as healthy as possible. That concept puts one's company or team ahead of one's individual agenda.

WWE's business on this current International Tour has been stellar thus far with every event near capacity or sold out. Plus, from what I understand there have no significant injuries to report thus far. (Knock on wood.)

Good luck to Dwayne Johnson @TheRock on his upcoming abdominal surgery as a result of injuries he suffered early in his WM29 bout vs. John Cena.

Getting great feedback on the new, @RealMickFoley DVD especially on the documentary aspect of it and the extras. I'd highly suggest that you check it out as it was well produced and contains some amazing memories and reactions from some of the biz's biggest stars.

Love it (not) when I get Tweets and emails from some fans who want to know if I'm going to write a 'honest book' some day that dishes all the dirt that I know and ID where all the "corpses" are buried. It's amazing at what some folks thrive on..."dirt." If I do write an autobiography, it will be honest but if some are only looking for dirt and half truths, as I remember things happening years ago, I'm not likely going to want to go there. Why BS my way thru sensationalistic periods of my career while having no problems throwing people under the proverbial bus just to sell a few more books? That's not happening. If I can't be creative enough and tell MY story without being salacious or overly negative as many wrestler's books are then I will simply pass on the project.

It's NBA playoff time and @okcthunder are at home tonight hosting Houston. This is getting close to the time that the NBA starts playing defense more than merely the final 2-3 minutes of the 4th quarter. Hopefully the Thunder can get this series over quickly but I'm not sure what to expect as Houston has zero to lose, they're not supposed to win, and every thing to gain plus former OKC star James Harden is steering his own ship now in H-Town.

Happy things are getting somewhat back to normal in Boston after such a horrific week in 'Bean Town' as Gorilla Monsoon used to call it. I'm blessed and grateful that I got to call a WWE match in the old, Boston Garden and it was with Gorilla many moons ago. It was a bucket list moment for me as I loved the Celtics back in the day and follow them to this very day thanks to my pal and their radio voice @seangrandePBP.

Can you believe that friends and me are already making plans for our travel to South Bend this fall for the #OU vs. Notre Dame college football game at the end of September? Yep, I've got my priorities in the right place.

Have a great day/week and thanks for stopping by our site. If you have any questions then throw them at me at the Q&A section of the site. Thanks for supporting my family business with all our JR's products. We appreciate everyone's support.

Boomer Sooner!
    J.R. @JRsBBQ

4/22/13

Mon, 04/22/2013 - 9:34am — J.R.
    Posted in:Wrestling
    Let's kick off the work week with a quickie....a succinct blog loaded with random thoughts. Grilling time!

As a big fan of the #NFL, even though they essentially took a dump on the XFL whenever they could back in the day, I'm excited for draft week which 'kicks off' (see what I did there) in prime time Thursday night. I expect an offensive tackle to be the first player selected with no can't miss QB's in this draft as in QB's that are projected as first year starters ala Luck and RG3. I enjoy watching other broadcasters work without a script or simply reading lines from a teleprompter.

It's a shame that @UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones isn't selling this Saturday's much anticipated #UFC PPV as aggressively as is challenger @sonnench Chael Sonnen. Sonnen is a natural born salesman and promoter and if the Oregonian can sell his fights then he can sell others fights as well. Bottom line if Chael is unable to unset Jones Saturday night I wouldn't be surprised to see Sonnen retire and go into broadcasting full time for the rapidly growing UFC. Jones apparent lack of commitment to promoting the PPV is troubling which takes nothing away from what the talented athlete does inside the Octagon. Bones seems like a smart guy so why isn't he beating the bushes selling PPV's on a show that he's HEADLINING?! Arrogance? Attitude? Bad info from his 'people?'

Building depth in UFC's broadcasting roster is imperative much like building depth on the talent roster while developing new fighters. Sonnen, Dominick Cruz, and Brian Stann are all potentially strong color analysts for cage side roles even though their studio work is entertaining and informative. Developing new, play by play talents is more challenging than is developing the analyst role.

I enjoyed UFCONFOX7 Saturday night but at the end of the day it felt as if the network was rushing the show along too much as in putting a gun to the head of UFC production people to do all they could to get off the air so the late, local news, where applicable, could start on time. I can see those restrictions for a WWE event where times are more controlled but for a sporting event that theory makes zero sense. Either start the event a hour earlier or take the restrictions off how one produces the prime time broadcast. Fans want to hear from many fighters, at times, before and after their fight when it works. Viewers who are new need to be educated as to why specific fights are happening. If Fox truly wants to build the UFC brand and monetize their investment, then Fox should not restrict the utilization of important, programming elements/nuances in their UFC broadcasts due to ludicrous, time restrictions.

Has the Rock, @TheRock, wrestled his last match due to injury? Seems as if Rock has left that matter open for speculation depending on the results of the surgery and his non stop schedule, etc. However, knowing Dwayne as I do, I would think that he would want to go out differently and be remembered for one, last major bout. If I had to make a wager, I'd say we haven't seen the last of @TheRock. The one wild card may be his movie partners who may not want to risk their franchise player stepping back in the ring. That's all TBD. I would speculate that if Dwayne can't do WM30 for any reason that he may be closer to done than many want to see.

Interesting note....recently I read about @steveaustinBSR being in great shape physically and looking excellent ala being in 'show shape' but not wrestling shape for a return to a WWE ring. News flash or as the one person in the world that I would really NOT want to take a long, care trip with, Nancy Grace, might say....BOMBSHELL....Steve is ALWAYS in great shape. Old habits die hard and the Texas Rattlesnake (Thanks, JR) is a gym guy in that he hits the gym regularly and with P&V. With all that said, the only way that I see Steve returning to the ring for one, final bout is obviously on the biggest stage (WM30), with the exact, right opponent (Who is that?) , and with a strategic game plan that Steve can emotionally invest . That's a bunch of if's so the door isn't closed but it's not exactly standing wide open either. Austin fans will continue to hold out hope until it's either a done deal or not but a Stone Cold return at WM30 would help insure that the biggest event of 2014 would be a can't miss event. AS I have said in the past, I'd gage an Austin return to WWE for a farewell promotion as 50/50 or less.

Someone suggested to me on Twitter @JRsBBQ that Austin should wrestle the Undertaker at WM30 which I personally find to be pet coon goofy for a litany of reasons. That would not be a smart booking.

WWE is bringing some new Diva prospects to NXT to begin training soon plus with the new, WWE Diva reality show that will be airing this Fall, I assume, on the E Network, I'd say that WWE is essentially setting the reset button on the Divas division sooner than later. E cameras were all over the place at WM29 as some new talents are also featured in this new show. Being the reality show junkie that I am, I'm looking forward to seeing this production and from what I could tell all the ladies were just being themselves, for better or for worse, and not doing 'canned' reality.

Some outstanding Diva prospects are already in NXT and each of them seemingly get better every time that I see them. They are a hard working group who appear to have their head's on straight and committed to getting better daily so that they can eventually be called up to the main stage and make their mark in WWE. The money is in being on a RAW or Smackdown roster and not in NXT which is as it should be.

Best wishes to Superstar Billy Graham who is still hospitalized in Wyoming and is in serious condition. Billy has been hospitalized in serious condition now for over a week. Billy influenced countless numbers of wrestlers with his bigger than life personality and physique back in the day. Nice to have the big 'pythons' but more people remember his outrageous personality and verbal skills just as much as they do his muscles.

My twitter timeline blew up Sunday after @BillSimmons referenced your's truly on the ABC/NBA pre game show.

American Soda who is our distributor in the UK, Ireland and Europe for JR's products is offering FREE SHIPPING within the UK only thru this Friday on their JR's Sauces package only. Check it out at http://www.americansoda.co.uk or hit them with questions on Twitter @americansoda which is located in Manchester, England.

I authored blogs Friday, Saturday and Sunday here on our site plus I've updated the Q&A's as regularly as I can during that same time frame. If you have succinct questions or comments for me, go to the Q&A section and ask away.

There are some sweet deals right now on several items at WWEShop.com but none taste better than JR's products. Today is the perfect day to order. Sample the best Beef Jerky out there, guaranteed, that you can have delivered to your home by going to http://www.wweshop.com.

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy Monday Night RAW tonight from the O2 in London.

Boomer Sooner!
    J.R. @JRsBBQ

Wed, 04/24/2013 - 12:10pm — J.R.
    Bombshell!! It was 28 degrees last night in Norman and will be 80 by Sunday. If you don't like Oklahoma weather just hang around a day or two as it always changes. Weather report over...let's grill

Enjoyed many aspects of the London RAW Monday night and found it much easier to watch from home than to fly across the proverbial pond to kiss Sir Michael Cole's feet.

It felt like there was much more in ring content Monday night which, for an old school guy, I always enjoy. No matter is the match is 5 star classic or a ho hummer, I'm simply a fan of the ring product on any wrestling broadcast more than any other aspect.

Certainly not saying that I don't like a passionate, organic promo because I do as it was largely the promos that got me hooked on wrestling when I was a boy. They felt real, sounded real, and appeared to come straight from the heart of the speaker to a 10 year old only child growing up in Eastern Oklahoma who hung intently on every second of the one hour, locally produced TV show..

It's always great to see Undertaker on free TV and he never fails to give me my monies worth but, admittedly, I am extremely biased. I made a statement on Twitter earlier in the week @JRsBBQ that many disagreed with that I thought that Taker had overtaken Andre the Giant as the Greatest 'Big Man' in the history of the biz. Frankly, factoring in tenure, leadership, productivity, tickets sold, etc, a viable argument can be made that the Undertaker isn't the greatest star ever in the genre.

Even though the Shield had some indy experience before joining NXT, the training that the trio received in Florida has served them well. Further proof to me that NXT is the true future of WWE as it relates to the TV product which is what drives the entire company. Nothing's more important than talent and television within WWE.

The Shield had a pivotal week in the world of WWE TV and it continues this Friday night on Smackdown. Already some fans are clamoring for the trio to break up and go their separate ways. I content that it's too early for that and that there are many productive miles left in this new, hot faction that has a chance to become one of the more significant groups ever assembled in WWE.

Enjoying the development of Big E Langston who is an intelligent, grounded athlete of immense strength and overall athleticism. E's still evolving/growing but he is making steady progress from my perspective. Patience is the key here which many young talents and seemingly even more fans have little.

Ryback had a productive week in his transition to becoming a 'villain' and challenging the polarizing, WWE Champion John Cena. I think that these two will have sound chemistry when they meet at the Extreme Rules PPV and wouldn't be surprised to see Ryback win the WWE Title. Seems as if it is enviable that the Vegas wrecking ball will be 'the man' at some point in the future as he is one of the more focused and hellbent on success performers that I have encountered in many years.

As I have said many times, if a talent doesn't want to headline WrestleMania and be WWE Champion, WWE has recruited the wrong athlete. No matter the apparent challenges of accomplishing such, the goals must remain the same and the work to accomplish such has to continue. Compromise and comfort zones are the beginning of the end in my view.

Anxious to see what the next step in the progressive chart is for World Champion Dolph Ziggler who was a Jerry Brisco recruit during our days working together and after Dolph had a stellar career wrestling at Kent State. Ziggler is a special talent whether he be a friend or foe who's uncanny timing and natural athletic skills are next to impossible to find.

A little housekeeping of which I apologize to regular readers:

I am STILL working with WWE and hope to until the day I die. My primary focus is in talent development which has been a passion since we created the developmental system way back in the day.

The day I 'retire' is when you read a blurb about my passing away. Retire and do what?

There are no plans on me going back on the air on a weekly basis that I'm aware of but I'd be happy to do so if needed. I'm grateful for my tenure or 'run' as is said inside the biz and have zero left to prove at the announce table. ( I think that @MichaelCole @JCLayfield and @JerryLawler are doing great on RAW.)

Would I like to try my hand at broadcasting entities other than WWE? Sure if WWE was cool with it and did not consider it a conflict of interest and it fit within my WWE work.

The Mid South Wrestling DVD is due out in September but I don't know what is going to make the final edit of the multiple DVD release.

We are still working to get JR's products into grocery stores but at this time outside the Norman, Oklahoma Homeland Stores it's only available in the USA, Canada, Australia, etc online from http://www.wweshop.com @WWEShop on Twitter.

Yes, our products are available in the UK, Ireland and Europe via @americansoda in Manchester and a hand full of their stores plus online at http://www.americansoda.co.uk.

Whew!

Anxious to get back down to Orlando for more NXT tapings as @JohnCena will join the party on Thursday May 2 @FullSail University in Winter Haven, Fla. I'm curious to see who has improved their game since we were last there notwithstanding how many have gotten stronger and more athletic.

I'll soon be involved in a meeting with the NFLPA in Washington D.C. to further discuss the recruiting process of former NFL players with the aptitude and other requirements to become a candidate for WWE training.

Anxious to watch the NFL Draft Thursday night on ESPN for the selections but not so enthralled to have to listen to all the talking heads essentially shout out their conversations. The live audience in Radio City Music Hall in NYC will likely make WWE fans think of the live crowd at RAW the night after WM29.

I wonder when the 'brain surgeons" who make the decisions regarding CFB conferences, etc will stop and study basic geography while at the same time putting their fans first before counting the massive TV money that is currently coming their way?

Favorite match considerations for me would be Dr. Death vs. Terry Gordy and Doc and Bam Bam vs. the Steiners. Anyone remember those wars? They weren't for the weak at heart I assure you.

I'm a proud, life member of the Cauliflower Alley Club and wholeheartedly encourage all true wrestling fans to check out their website http://www.cauliflloweralleyclub.org and consider joining the club. The annual reunion just happened in Vegas, it was a blast, but I'm still of the mindset that CAC would be infinitely better served if the event moved to June where kids could come with their parents and more WWE talents could attend as well. Just my two cents.

I don't see Chael Sonnen beating Jon 'Bones' Jones this Saturday night on PPV in an eagerly anticipated fight for the #UFC Light Heavyweight Title but one never knows. Knockouts and submissions can come quickly and without notice in the Octagon. Sonnen and Michael Bisping have both done an excellent job of 'selling' the PPV but the same can't be said for Bones who stands to make much more money for his company and himself by doing more 'selling.' Whether some purists, et al like it or not, we live in a 'hype' society that thrives on the 'sensational' aka the 'must see' and a well marketed, promoted event. Hell, @DuckDynastyAE season finale will likely have an audience of 7M+ because of the hype and the uniqueness of sending a gaggle of Louisiana duck hunters to Hawaii. Hype. Sensationalism. Salesmanship. Sizzle.

So, yes. Bones Jones can learn a thing or two from Si Robertson. That's the first time those two names have been used together in a sentence IN THE HISTORY OF BLOGGING!!!!

I will be live Tweeting during the @UFC PPV Saturday night if anyone cares. Should be some outstanding fights with some unforeseen outcomes.

Follow me on Twitter @JRsBBQ.

Try some JR's BBQ Sauces, Chipotle Ketchup, Main Event Mustard and All Purpose Seasoning and don't forget our hottest selling product...five flavors of custom, made from head to toe, JR's Beef Jerky which is 97% Fat Free.

The Q&A's here on the site are updated.

Boomer Sooner!
    J.R.

Fri, 04/26/2013 - 11:57am — J.R.
    Welcome back to our website and thanks for dropping by as we appreciate the visit. I've updated the Q&A's as of Friday midday and invite you to check out the quick reads while you're here. With that said...we grill.

Looking forward to watching Friday Night Smackdown tonight as the Undertaker takes on the Shield's Dean Ambrose. I don't expect to see Taker on TV that much at all in the future but what an opportunity for Ambrose and his teammates to shine with a future Hall of Famer.

RIP country music legend George Jones aka "The Voice" who passed away earlier today. In the wrestling world he was known as the late Paul Bearer aka Percy Pringle's all time favorite entertainer. I remember when Percy got to meet "The Possum" after a concert back in the day and Percy told me the story just as a child would about meeting Santa Claus. He remembered what George was wearing, what George said and seemingly every aspect of their brief meeting.

I once booked country music talent for a large club in Tulsa called Duke's Country back in the 80's and booked Jones to appear live three, different times....he showed once. Our crowd was light the night that Jones finally made it and we did not have all his money prior to show time. His manager said that George wouldn't go on without his money even though I explained that the legend had become "No Show Jones" on us twice and that the fans were skeptical and did not buy many tickets in advance.. I asked to speak with George and went on his tour bus to explain our dilemma. The former Marine understood, went on and played a great show.

For the record, he got all his money before leaving Tulsa and I he and I ended up having a great conversation after the show as I counted out his cash. Yes, cash...no checks please.

I remember someone playing a rib on Percy back in the day, late 90's I think, where a new crew member was told to break the news to "Paul Bearer" that George Jones had just passed away. The kid did not know any better and was told that if he gently broke the news to Percy and grieved with him that the veteran would appreciate it and that it would be a great ice breaker/bonding experience.

I never heard so many inventive curse words in my entire life that Percy/Paul spewed at the youngster who was the victim of a stiff, wrestling rib. Percy/Paul was that loyal and devoted to George Jones. Hopefully, their paths have crossed again in Heaven.

The OKC Thunder losing all star guard Russell Westbrook to minor knee surgery is a tough blow to the team's playoff hopes but stranger things have happened and the Thunder won't tap just yet. OKC isn't obviously as good without Westbrook, but sometimes things like this can bring a team closer and inject a new found sense of urgency in a small, NBA sized roster. Kevin Durant has to become more selfish and take more shots but the cupboards are not bear in OKC...just not as well stocked. Durant must take over.

I was asked recently on Twitter who I thought was one of the most underrated athletes in the WWE locker room I mentioned that an argument could be made for more than one but off the top of my head I'd go with @WWEMcGillicutty. The son of the late Curt Hennig is the complete package and is only getting better. Some of his bouts in NXT have been excellent. I like the kid a great deal and hope that he sticks with the goal of achieving his dream to follow in his dad's footsteps and to create his own legacy.

When asked if I thought the WWE Saturday Night's Main Event was returning on a regular basis, I don't know but can't we all agree that WWE is producing enough weekly TV? I know that I do.

Manti Te'o will obviously get drafted into the NFL but does anyone else think that his 40 time had more to do with him falling from the first round than the whacky, faux girlfriend silliness? Another factor may be that the legend of Norte Dame and the hype that the program receives may have made Te'o a better linebacker than he actually was. I know that has happened at Oklahoma on occasion where a player wasn't quite as good as the school's hype for him.

The @Rams and Minnesota Vikings seem to have great first round NFL Drafts from where I was sitting. I follow both teams because of Sam Bradford and Adrian Peterson, two former OU stars.

Yes...I joked with @LaneJohnson69 about coming to #WWE IF the 'NFL thing' didn't work out. Obviously,. being the 4th overall pick in the draft indicates that the 'NFL thing' is going to work out just fine for the former #Sooners offensive lineman who I consider a great kid and have enjoyed being on the sideline for essentially every game of his OU career. @Eagles fans are going to love the 6'6"-303 pounder who ran a 4.72 forty.

Hopefully, some of the great athletes who tryout for the NFL as free agents this summer and who do not make it will find their way on the WWE radar. That's one reason that we are meeting with the NFLPA in a couple of weeks. Notwithstanding creating an opportunity to where some young, former players who have a WWE aptitude and who might want to step in the ring and see how they adapt their legit, athletic skills into becoming a WWE performer.

Nice to see that Bones Jones has picked it up in recent weeks in the promotion of this Saturday night's UFC PPV as he defends his light heavyweight title against Chael Sonnen. Like any great, pro wrestling villains and just as Muhammad Ali did back in his heyday, some fans will buy #UFC159 just to see @sonnench get his ass whipped and whipped convincingly by the talented Jon Jones. The mark of any great, sports or sports/entertainment villain is to create so much antagonism and angst that the paying customers will invest their cash to see said bad guy get beaten up and humiliated.

Sonnen's long term career is behind a UFC mic as the brand continues to build it's announcer roster just as they are their fighter roster. Just like WWE, UCC will be built for long term success via fighting talent and television and having great story tellers to embellish and enhance great fighters/fights is imperative. Sonnen can tell stories and he can sell product. Chael might evolve into a helluva ringside, color commentator some day if provided that opportunity even though his studio work has been stellar.

I'm anxious to see who steps up Saturday night and tries to steal the show and create a name for themselves on the card headlined by Jones vs. Sonnen. Opportunity awaits and I'm curious as to who will capitalize.

Must be a slow news day for some to dissect this past Monday's Foley-Ryback segment on Monday Night Raw. I thought Foley's delivery was impassioned and timely. He was the perfect set up man for what transpired. Ryback is refining his verbal skills as he goes which is exactly what guys used to do in the territory days. Every outing for a talent like Ryback is learning experience and if he has some rough edges, in the eyes of some, then so be it. I'd rather see in ring, live or live to tape, rough edges on display than someone routinely reciting a promo exclusively from memory. Was the segment perfect? Nope but what is? Did it better position Ryback in the role that he is being cast? Without question, in my view.

Big week in NXT Thursday night at Full Sail University in Orlando/Winter Haven, Florida. Young talents are expected to be better than they were when we taped five, one hour broadcasts prior to WrestleMania 29. If someone claims that they are 'peaking' at this young age because the scenery is getting stale then they are helping themselves out the door. John Cena is set to join us on Thursday May 2.

Are you set for grilling season? Take a moment and visit the JR page at http://www.wweshop.com and see all the great deals that await.

Our associates in Manchester, England @americansoda has great offers on JR's products that they promptly deliver throughout the UK, Europe and Ireland from their website http://www.americansoda.co.uk.

Happy 46th birthday today to Kane who is one of the greatest superstars to ever appear in a WWE ring. The consummate pro who is one of the most intelligent athletes that I've ever known and is a model talent and a future WWE HOFer without question. He's a locker room leader, a voice of reason to many young, immature talents, is one of the greatest big men ever and an overall class act. I saw him for the first time while doing some commentary for Jim Cornette's Smoky Mountain Wrestling when Kane was wrestling under a mask and was known as 'Unabomber.' It did not take long for me to get him a tryout and then to sign him to a WWE contract where he has been ever since. I can't see Kane being any where but in WWE and if I had a vote I'd want the big man to mentor as many young NXT talents as is possible. I have great respect for the former college athlete who has his degree even though he "BBQ'ed" me back in the day. I healed...for the record.

You're invited to follow me on Twitter @JRsBBQ.

I've written many blogs here over the past week and hope that you'll check them out.

Boomer Sooner!
    J.R.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast