'Michelle Obama appears' wasn't on anyone's list of Oscar predictions

First lady Michelle Obama announced the best picture category in a surprise appearance live from the White House at Sunday’s Academy Awards, crowning political drama “Argo” as the best picture.

In a year where several of the nominated films had political connections — from “Lincoln” to “Zero Dark Thirty” — “Argo” came out on top among the Washington crowd, winning three of the seven awards it was nominated for, including best picture. The film is about a CIA plan to rescue Americans trapped in Iran during the Carter-era hostage crisis.

After being introduced by legendary actor Jack Nicholson, Obama spoke by satellite from inside the White House, where she thanked the Hollywood community for their “vitally important work” before announcing “Argo” the winner.

“Welcome to the White House, everyone,” Obama said, wearing a silver Naeem Khan gown. These movies "took us back in time and all around the world. They made us laugh. They made us weep and made us grip our armrests just a little tighter. They taught us that love can endure against all odds and transform our minds in the most surprising ways. And they reminded us that we can overcome any obstacle if we dig deep enough and fight hard enough and find the courage to believe in ourselves.”

(PHOTOS: Politics at the Oscars)

Affleck — who wasn’t nominated in the best director category for “Argo” — seemed thankful and nervous when he took the microphone after the film won.

“I want to thank our friends in Iran living in a terrible circumstance right now,” he said. “I want to thank my wife [actress Jennifer Garner], who I don’t normally associate with Iran, but I want to thank you for working on our marriage. … It is work, but it’s the best kind of work and there’s no one I’d rather work with.”

“Argo” also won for best adapted screenplay and film editing, rounding out its three Oscars. “Lincoln” scored two awards — best actor for Daniel Day-Lewis and best production design.

“Zero Dark Thirty,” about the U.S. government's hunt for Osama Bin Laden, won its only award of the night for sound editing, a category in which it tied with “Skyfall,” the latest James Bond installment. (Surprisingly enough, ties for Oscars aren’t all that uncommon, as ABC News noted.)

(Also on POLITICO: Politicians, media tweet Oscar picks)

Meanwhile, Day-Lewis won best actor for his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln in the presidential biopic “Lincoln.” It was his third best-actor award.

Day-Lewis showed his comedic chops during his acceptance speech, thanking director Steven Spielberg for not making “Lincoln” a musical.

“And Steven didn’t have to persuade me to play Lincoln, but I had to persuade him that if I was going to do it – it shouldn’t be a musical,” he said.

He also joked with his presenter Meryl Streep, who won best actress last year for her portrayal of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in “Iron Lady.”

“It’s a strange thing because three years ago before we decided to do a straight swap, I had actually been committed to play Margaret Thatcher – and Meryl was Steven’s first choice for ‘Lincoln.’ And I’d like to see that version,” Day-Lewis said.

All kidding aside, Day-Lewis then thanked “the mysteriously beautiful mind, body and spirit of Abraham Lincoln.”