Kobe Bryant moved into fourth place on the NBA's all-time scoring list in the Los Angeles Lakers' game against the Sacramento Kings, passing Wilt Chamberlain.

Bryant's pull-up jumper from the foul line with 7:55 remaining in the second quarter gave Bryant 31,421 points for his career, edging past Chamberlain's 31,419 total.

"What a journey," Bryant said after scoring 19 points and handing out 14 assists, one shy of his career high, in the Lakers' 103-98 win over the Kings. "It's been a very, very long journey. I'm certainly extremely appreciative of all the support and the Laker faithful, the 'Laker Nation,' from being a 17-year-old kid to a 34-year-old man and all the support they've given me throughout my career."

Bryant was especially touched by passing Chamberlain.

"I remember the first time I met him when I was about eight years old," Bryant said. "The first thing that struck me was that, the first thing I thought of was he was 'Bombata' from ['Conan the Destroyer']. That was the most impressive thing to me. He was just such a warm-hearted gentleman and I have nothing but praise for him, obviously. To pass him up is a huge honor, to say the least."

Now, Bryant trails only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (38,387), Karl Malone (36,928) and Michael Jordan (32,292).

Bryant had passed former teammate Shaquille O'Neal last season to occupy the No. 5 spot.

"I just want No. 6, man," Bryant said, referring to his championship count, when asked where he wanted to finish on the all-time scoring list when he retires. "I'm not asking for too much, man. Just give me a sixth ring, damn it."

- ESPN