SARASOTA, Fla. -- New York Mets left-hander Johan Santana will proceed with surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule in his left shoulder for a second time in 31 months, ending his 2013 season before it began.

Team doctor David Altchek, who performed Santana's first anterior capsule surgery on Sept. 2, 2010, will again perform the surgery. Santana took 19 months to throw a major league pitch after the first shoulder surgery.

The Mets are responsible for $31 million owed to Santana this season, including a 2014 buyout.

"I've known Johan long enough to know that I don't think that he would want to go out like that," Mets captain David Wright said. "So he's going to probably work just as hard, or if it's possible work harder, to come back from this. I wouldn't be surprised if I see him pitch again."

Wright briefly spoke with Santana on Thursday, after the results of an MRI showed a tear but before Santana had committed to the surgery.

"He was kind of in a bit of shock," Wright said. "I don't think anybody was expecting this. He said he did everything possible to rehab this thing. He did everything the right way. For this to happen, I think for everybody, including him, it's kind of shocking and disheartening.

The surgery to repair a torn anterior capsule had been performed previously on only a handful of pitchers, beginning with Bret Saberhagen on May 28, 1996, Altchek told ESPNNewYork.com last year. The surgery on Santana left a two-inch scar at the front of his prized shoulder.

The sparse list of pitchers now also includes Chris Young, Mark Prior, Chien-Ming Wang, Rich Harden and Dallas Braden.

- ESPN