Chris Sabin, who was recently released from his TNA contract, talked about his TNA departure in an interview with MLive.com promoting Saturday's UCW show in Bay City, Michigan.

"I'm looking forward to this next chapter in my life," Sabin said. "It's getting back to my roots since I started out in the independents. Professional wrestling is my passion."

Sabin said part of getting back to his roots is regaining confidence lost after two major knee surgeries while in TNA.

"I was pretty apprehensive for months about what I could do in the ring," Sabin said. "I even did an interview not too long ago where I felt I couldn't do all the high-flying stuff I could do before my injuries. I was almost embarrassed when I saw myself saying that, it shows a lack of believe in myself."

Sabin said he will be trying to "stay as busy as possible" returning to the independents, taking an A.J. Styles approach of wrestling newcomers or veterans on the independent scene.

"If I put my mind too it, and put the work in, I know I can be the Chris Sabin I was before the injuries," he said. "I know I'm stronger for getting through this."