Matt Richardson has explained why he left The Xtra Factor ahead of the show's 11th run.

The 23-year-old comedian - who only joined the ITV2 spin-off last series - admitted that co-presenter Caroline Flack's exit heavily influenced his decision.

"It was so much fun, but I wouldn't have felt right going back without Caroline," he told Digital Spy at the WTA Pre-Wimbledon Party presented by Dubai Duty Free last night (June 19).

"Our whole crew has changed, so it would have been a totally different show again," he added.

"It's a shame, but it gives me half a year to write a new tour, which I really need."

Richardson also revealed that although he'll miss working alongside Flack on Xtra Factor, he is looking forward to what lies ahead.

"I really like doing stuff alone," he said. "As a stand-up I've been working by myself for five years. "It's very natural, and I enjoy it."

The Xtra Factor will return later this year with new host Sarah-Jane Crawford.

Crawford - who also attended the WTA event alongside Maria Sharapova, Venus and Serena Williams, Laura Mvula and Ashley Roberts - had previously described landing the presenting role as "what dreams are made of".

"You'd better believe I'm going in with a bang!" she added. "I just can't wait to get on the road now and meet the auditionees!"

DigitalSpy