Ken Lucas, a longtime wrestler from the Southeast who held dozens of championships during the territory era and someone that Ricky Morton has always credited with making him the performer that he was in the ring, passed away over weekend. The news began circulating over the last few days.

Lucas, who was 73, was found unresponsive in his home in Pensacola, Florida.

Lucas broke into the business in the late 1950s after meeting and training with a number of pro wrestlers at a local YMCA. He worked as a babyface and was considered a top notch in ring performer and outside the ring, was well read and a huge rock n' roll aficionado.

Lucas was a regular star in promotions across the Gulf Coast region but rarely stayed outside of the area for long stretches of time, preferring to staying close to home. It's often been felt that had he chose to make the rounds, he'd have been a far bigger name outside of his geographic area.

After retiring from the ring after undergoing back surgery stemming from being hit by a truck, Lucas made a living as a regular vendor at a local flea market as well as owning property that he rented in Arizona.

Our own Les Thatcher, who worked with Lucas, wrote, "I am saddened to hear of the passing of my dear friend Ken Lucas. We traveled the roads together & socialized, He had one of the greatest sense of humor of anyone I ever knew & was one of the greatest workers I have ever had the pleasure of locking up with. Our business has lost an amazing human being. God be with you my friend. I love you."

For more on Lucas' passing, click here and here for local media coverage.

UOWForums would like to send condolences to Ken Lucas; family.