FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Ben Roethlisberger says he "wasn't surprised at all" by a federal judge's decision last week to overturn Tom Brady's suspension, allowing the New England Patriots' star quarterback to face Roethlisberger's Pittsburgh Steelers in Thursday night's season opener.

"I just felt like the league had done something without really – you know, and I wasn't big in looking at all the details, this and that," Roethlisberger said Sunday morning on a conference call with reporters. "Maybe just more of a feeling -- of an inkling -- and knowing that the commissioner jumped to a pretty harsh punishment."

U.S. District Judge Richard M. Berman vacated Brady's four-game ban last Thursday based on inadequate notice and an unfair appeal process in which Brady was barred access to investigative documents and a key witness before commissioner Roger Goodell upheld the discipline in his role as arbitrator.

The NFL filed a notice of appeal the same day but did not request a stay. So, after months of uncertainty, Brady will be on the field as the Patriots hoist their latest Super Bowl championship banner Thursday night and take on the Steelers on national TV.

Asked if he has mixed feelings, given his respect for Brady and the fact he makes the Patriots better, Roethlisberger said, "Absolutely, I still have a ton of respect for Tom. I think he's the best in the business. And if you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best.

"So, yeah, of course one part of you doesn't want him out there because he is the best in the world. But a bigger part of you as a competitor wants him out there because he is the best."

Goodell has broad authority to issue discipline and hear appeals under Article 46 of the collective bargaining agreement. But the NFL Players Association continues to push for neutral arbitration over such matters.

Roethlisberger has been disciplined by Goodell before, too. In 2010, Roethlisberger was suspended six games following an investigation on a sexual assault – the first player to be suspended under the personal conduct policy without being arrested or charged with a crime. Goodell reduced his ban to four games on appeal.

Was Brady's victory a win for the union, too?

"I think a lot of players feel that way," Roethlisberger said. "But … you still don't know moving forward what's going to come of different decisions by the commissioner."