Piece Of Shit

Despite Internet rumors claiming SmackDown commentator John Bradshaw Layfield was leaving WWE in the near future, the former WWE Champion has agreed to a long-term deal to remain the brand’s color commentator.

According to JBL, the Internet stories weren’t completely false, but they were filled with misleading and skewed information. To clear up the confusion, WWE.com spoke with JBL to get the real story about why he chose to re-sign with WWE, the Internet reports and his life outside of sports-entertainment.

“There was truth to [the rumors]. Doing commentary but not being able to wrestle bothered me; being close to something that I love and not being involved. It really ate me up,” he admitted “I talked to WWE officials and [Executive Vice President of Television Production] Kevin Dunn about leaving commentary because I was heartbroken that I couldn’t wrestle – not because I wanted to quit the business.” he said.

Amidst all the wrong information that gets published through the Internet, the former WWE Champion said he understands why people contribute stories that are filled with half-truths and perpetuate gossip.

“That’s their right in this country… it’s their right to make money however they can, legally. I have no problem with that,” he said. “They slam the business a lot of times, I think unnecessarily, and a lot of things they report are incorrect and this is one of them, which doesn’t bother me either.

“By the time it was reported, I already approached WWE and told them that I wanted to stay, so the reports were pretty far off,” he said. “[WWE] didn’t pursue me – that’s one of the things the Internet had wrong. [It was reported] that I gave notice and they called me and tried to work out a deal – that’s not true.”

Injuries forced JBL to make the transition from being in action in the ring to calling the action from the commentators’ booth, a move he resisted at first, but later recognized as a blessing in disguise.

“My plan was to keep going. I had nerve damage in my lower back… when WWE found out how bad it was, they pulled me out,” he said. “And I’m proud of that. The company cared enough about me to do that and [WWE] cares enough about me right now to not let me back in the ring, which I’m also proud of.”

JBL’s uneasiness in his new role led him to rethink his future in sports-entertainment. However, some Internet sources speculated that it was more materialistic reasons — namely, money and being allowed to fly on the WWE corporate jet – a charge JBL insists is untrue.

“The main factor was that I miss the business. I am flying on the corporate plane a lot; I do that anyway. That was never brought up in negotiations. I have asked for that, but it was never a determining factor. It was simply that I wanted to stay; that’s why I approached [WWE officials].”

JBL has taken a laissez-faire attitude towards “sloppy” Internet reporting, but that fact that such privelaged information was leaked to the web made him furious.

“Whoever in our company stooged us out, that person should be fired. It was a pretty close circle who knew I had actually come to an agreement to quit, so to have that out on the Internet, it came from someone in our company. That, to me, is tantamount to someone working for Microsoft and giving away software information. The guy who did that is a total piece of s*** and should be fired,” he said.

As far as money goes, JBL’s financial life as a senior vice president of a major investment bank paired with his success in WWE has given him the ability to work because he loves to, not because he has to. For JBL, that’s one of the most valuable assets a person can attain.

“I don’t brag — rich is relative. Vince is rich. Bill Gates is rich. I can choose to do other things to make a living and I make a great living doing what I’m doing,” he added. “I haven’t had to work financially in several years; I have to work mentally because that’s what I love doing.”

This isn’t the first time JBL has been forced to stop doing something he loves. Before his career in sports-entertainment, he played football, and when his gridiron career was cut short from injuries – much like his wrestling career – the anguish of being prematurely removed from playing the game he loved was too much to handle.

“I tried coaching one year and it bugged me too badly that I couldn’t play anymore. After that, I didn’t watch football for two or three years. It really bothered me psychologically and it’s the same with wrestling except I actually put more