WWE tag team champion Big E recently spoke with Brian Fritz of Sporting News about the success of The New day and why fans did not buy into the group at first. Here are some highlights of what he said about:

The success of New Day:

“What’s been really rewarding for us is knowing how hard it has been for us to get this off the ground,” Big E said. “We always believed we had the ability to move people the way we have as of late. It’s just a matter of being able to get that window. The last few months, 5-6 months, have been truly rewarding. Obviously, we’re having a blast and I think that shows.”

Fans not buying into the group at first:

“I get a lot of people’s lack of optimism at first,” he said. “When we were first met with the idea, we looked at each other and wondered how we were going to make this work. I think the biggest takeaway is being patient. I think a lot of times with our fans, I think a lot of people were very quick to dismiss what we were. And I get why. I think often times it’s just a matter of being patient with an act; letting it evolve, letting it grow and seeing what it becomes. We were glad we were given enough time to make it work.”