For Frankie Edgar, there was no better time to make his plea to face Conor McGregor than a public audience.

Edgar, a former UFC lightweight titleholder, was on-set for FOX Sports 1’s coverage of UFC 196 this past Saturday night. “The Answer” sat and watched with everyone else as McGregor suffered a submission defeat at the hands of Nate Diaz.

The loss, though, did not cost McGregor his featherweight title – and that is something Edgar so desperately seeks.

“I’m assuming he has no other choice but to come back down and defend his featherweight title and I’m waiting him,” Edgar said. “I know (Jose) Aldo is vying for the rematch. He had his chance. Conor beat Aldo in 13 seconds.

I’m coming for it and I’m getting my belt. There’s an unknown with me. I’m going to be bothering these guys. I want this fight.”

Edgar has earned victories in each of his last five fights, including a finish of Chad Mendes last year. He was unsuccessful in his first attempt at winning the featherweight belt, falling via decision to Aldo in 2013.