Ray Rice still hopes to return to the NFL, though he says he's running out of time.

Rice has not played in the league since being suspended at the start of the 2014 season for domestic violence. He told NJ.com on Thursday he knows he might not get another opportunity.

"I don't want to ever say I'm giving up, because that's never going to be me," Rice said before playing in a charity softball game. "I'm happy. I'm in the best shape of my life, and I know if it doesn't happen this year, it's probably something I have to deal with. But you know what? It's not the end of my life.

"I know that the window for playing is closing. But if my window closes, I'm going to make sure I open up a thousand more opportunities for kids, to give them an opportunity to pick up where I left off. That's where I'm at. I've got three Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl. There's a lot of people that can't go out there and do what I did. But I don't want it to end that way, it's safe to say."

"I know that the window for playing is closing," Ray Rice told NJ.com on Thursday. Andrew Weber/USA TODAY Sports
Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL in September 2014 and was released by the Baltimore Ravens when a video surfaced of him punching his then-fiancée in an elevator. His suspension was later overturned by a neutral arbitrator, but he hasn't signed with another team.

Rice, 29, played six seasons for Baltimore. He ran for 6,180 yards and 37 TDs.

He last played on Aug 16, 2014, in a preseason game. His last regular-season appearance was Dec 29, 2013.