*RESULTS* OVW Taping - 7/10/06

In front of 130 rabid fans at the Bullitt Lick Middle School Gymnasium.

Steve Lewington opened the night by winning a 20 man battle royal. Crowd was very into Lewington.

Joey Mercury pinned Devon Driscoll after berating the fans for not giving him a superstar welcome. Driscoll got a lot of offense in against Mercury and looked very good against the returning WWE Superstar.

Chris Rombolo defeated Pat Buck with a cross body. This is my first time seeing Rombolo in action maybe it's the pastel tights and the swagger that he carries but something just screamed Salvatore Sincere with him on this evening. I'll just say this wasnt a good evening to
gauge his potential. Buck was generating his crowd heat especial
from a very vocal older gentleman in the crowd. Buck is under utilized in his talents, the jury is still out on Rombolo. I'll wait to see what he offers in the future.

The Bad Seed, Mike Kruel and Eddie Craven were set to take on Three of the local wrestling team coaches but Bad Seed said he had been informed that the coaches were not licensed to wrestle in KY. Since they couldnt wrestle they would have to forfeit their match. As the ref counted them out, El Aero de Fuego (I'm guess this is Skyfire's new gimmick full time) appeared and through broken Spanglish agreed to take on Bad Seed 1 on 1. Very fast paced match, Kruel and Craven tried to interfere to give an advantage to Bad Seed but it just didnt pan out as Fuego took the victory.

Serena, Melody & Victoria Crawford defeated Beth Phoenix, Katie Lea & Jennifer. The OVW ladies continued their streak of having the best match on the card. I'm going to take a second here to comment on Jennifer, who's quietly becoming quite the worker in the ring. She's from the Trish Stratus mold not only in her look but in making the fitness model transition and learning her craft piece by piece. Yet another woman on the rise to watch for. Melody (the former
Fuji-Cakes) continues to try hard in the ring and my hat is off to her in that respect. Beth carried her newly won women's title to the ring with her (could she soon also hold WWE women's gold as well?). Victoria hit her springing elbow on Jennifer and then Serena nailed the spear for the victory.

Gunner Scott and Charles Evans squared off for the OVW TV title. Evans again tried to leave as Scott was out-wrestling him. The ref declared that if Evans didnt answer the 10 count Evans would forfeit the title. Evans got back in the ring and continued to have problems getting an advantage on Scott. A ref bump however gave Evans the opening to use some knucks on Scott. Evans then hid the knucks in Scott's trunk as he only gained a 2 count. Scott came back and hit a drop kick and scored the win on Evans. Evans was in shock then told the ref to check Scott as Scott had hit him with the knucks. The ref
found the planted weapon and reversed the decision. Somewhere, Dusty
Rhodes smiled.

Samoa Joe then made his way to the ring with Jeff Jarrett's NWA Title Belt. Sorry scratch that Jacob Duncan came out carrying Chett the Jett's OVW Title. Duncan made a speech about how he's a fighting champion and was ready to defend his belt. Steve Lewington then came out and informed Duncan he was no champion as he had ambushed Chett in his car and left him laying "bloody and concussed" and then stole the Title. Duncan said that Possession was 9/10 of the law. Lewington then challenged Duncan in the ring at that moment. This match was a slug fest, both men threw everything they had at one another. When Lewington finally fell the giant Duncan he grabbed the belt and tried to run with it only to be greeted by a choke slam. Jacob Duncan "retained" the OVW Title. In all seriousness I am a fan of the "challenger steals the belt" angle. It's just unfortunate timing that this is also going on in TNA at the same time.

The main event saw Cody Runnels & Shawn Spears defeat High Dosage and Mike Kruel & Eddie Craven in a triple threat. Early going is the same solid action that's been going for a few weeks now on the house show circuit. No one wants to face Silverback, eventually someone does and they get him out of the ring. Spears & Runnels hit their drop toe-hold followed but a running knee drop spot that I'm a mark for. Who'd have thought you put a tag team team together and they could do some tag team spots? Totally New Idea, I know. Eventually the Bad Seed came out and tried to interfere on Kruel & Craven's behalf only to be chased by Ryan Reeves. John Bolen was then taken out by Kruel and Craven but Spears & Runnels got the last laugh by hitting the Hart Attack on Kruel for the win. The crowd, especially the teenage girls at ringside, went wild.

Overall a strong showing by OVW, the new stars they are building after the recent talent call ups are starting to come into their own now.

Source: http://ovw_wrestling.livejournal.com/