Feb. 20 (UPI) -- Virginia police are warning of a fake blackmail scheme after a man received a letter from someone claiming to have evidence he cheated on a nonexistent wife.

Henrico County Police said in a Facebook post that many local residents received letters claiming to be from someone who has evidence of marital infidelity.

"The letter admits to knowingly blackmailing you while the subsequent pages are a 'how to' for paying the scammer. Please DO NOT give them any money! THIS IS A SCAM!!!" the post said.

The Goochland County Sheriff's Office posted a photo of one of the letters to Facebook.

"I know you cheated on your wife," the letter reads. "More importantly, I have evidence of the infidelity."

The letter instructs the recipient to pay $2,000 through an online Bitcoin transfer to prevent the evidence from being made public.

Investigators said the letters are being sent to a wide swath of local residents -- including at least one man who isn't even married.

"I thought, who was this mystery wife that I don't have?" Matt Edwards told WTVR-TV. "This must be a scam. I don't have a wife."

"I hope they're caught, they should be caught," Edwards said of the scammers. "Just ignore it. Laugh at it. It's a joke."