SmackDown Live Superstar AJ Styles was recently interviewed by Record Sport Online and spoke about The Undertaker, who seemingly retired at WrestleMania 33. The Dead Man never formally announced that he will never wrestle again, but his send-off at WrestleMania and WWE’s handling of the situation indicate we have seen the last of him inside the ring.

Styles revealed that he and The Undertaker have a strong friendship that developed because they have a mutual (unnamed) close friend. Styles called Undertaker’s apparent retirement heartbreaking and gave him credit for shaping WWE into what it is today.

“I could tell you, I was emotional because he’s my friend,” Styles said. “He and I have got a relationship..both of us have the same friend who we’re very close to, so then he and I developed this relationship without even knowing each other that well. But, it was heartbreaking, because this is the guy that’s been here for so long, and has shaped the WWE into what it is now.”

Styles acknowledged that The Undertaker’s future is not certain, but Taker’s legacy has been cemented and his contributions to WWE are undeniable. “Is he gone? I don’t know, but you would assume,” he continued. “I think there were some tears from fans that they may have seen the last of The Undertaker, and at the end of the day, if he’s done, I respect the heck out of him for doing it his way and doing what he wanted to do in his last match.”

Styles added that The Undertaker “is and was” everything to WWE and he’s thankful he got a chance to talk to him. He called The Undertaker a great guy who will be missed, if he is in fact done.