Last month, the Women of Wrestling promotion announced a new partnership with MGM Television, a deal that will increase their production quality and bring the company wider exposure. WOW is owned and operated by David McLane, creator of the popular GLOW promotion, and Jeanie Buss, owner of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Jeanie Buss was recently interviewed by Wrestledelphia to discuss WOW’s new deal with MGM. Here are some highlights sent in by John Corrigan from Wrestledelphia:

Was the decision to resurrect WOW influenced by the popularity of Ronda Rousey and the U.S. women’s soccer team?

“Absolutely. You know, I am a product of Title 9. There are so many women athletes who participated in the collegiate level in whatever sport: basketball, volleyball, soccer, gymnastics. The quality of athlete is phenomenal. Unless you’re in the WNBA or you’re a professional tennis player or soccer player, there aren’t many opportunities for women to turn pro in sports.

This is something that allows women to use that dedication, those years and years they spent becoming a collegiate athlete, and now they can have an opportunity to earn some money from all that hard work and dedication by becoming a wrestler in WOW.”

Do you get criticized for being involved in pro wrestling?

“I guess the people that would say something are like how I was before I saw it in person. I understand that, so those are the people that I really want to change their mind. I want them to come see it as my guest. If they don’t like it after seeing it the first time, then they don’t get it. But I do think we can not only appeal to established wrestling fans, but also create and bring new fans to the sport.”