Former Impact Wrestling World Heavyweight Champion Magnus recently spoke with Chris Featherstone of the Pancakes and Powerslams Podcast. Here are the highlights:

On his GFW departure:

“There was no release. There was nothing like that. A contract was offered to me, which I declined… Anthem offered me a contract, I read the contract, it’s not something that — I’ll say this in the nicest way that I can; it’s not a contract that anyone with any value, any sense of self-value or self-worth would sign. To me, the only time you should put your name on the dotted line, is if you are getting something in return. Because, otherwise, you may as well be an independent contractor. There’s no point in signing a contract to make you exclusive to one place if you’re not getting anything in return.”

On his time with Impact/GFW:

“I wish them nothing but the best, but, the only guy I was really excited to work with was Alberto [El Patron], and I worked with him right away. And I just didn’t feel like I would be challenged there the way I wanted to be challenged, creatively and artistically. Obviously, monetarily, they’re not going to be able to be in a position to offer anything that would offset those things. So, I politely said that I won’t sign this contract, however, if you need me, we can work on a handshake which we did for a number of shows.”