Petey Williams recently appeared on Interactive Wrestling Radio to talk about various topics. Here are the highlights:

The reason he decided to return to Impact Wrestling:

“Scott D’Amore just asked me to do that. Kind of! That’s the short story of it. The long story is Scott D’Amore called me because he said my name had been coming up a lot in creative meetings. I said, “I’m just not interested in wrestling again. I’m totally content with my life. I love my family, my wife, my kids, all that kind of stuff.” Scott D’Amore and i are very close. He’s the guy that trained me to be a wrestler and got me into TNA, Impact Wrestling now, and all that kind of stuff. As we were talking, he was like, “How are your kids doing? I thought maybe your kids might want to see what Daddy used to do.” Kind of tugging at my heart strings. (laughs) I actually brought up the question to my wife. I said, “Hey, listen to this ridiculous conversation I just had with Scott D’Amore.” I told her about it rolling my eyes as I go along. She just looked at me dead in the eyes and said, “Do it!” She was a big supporter of me coming back. If she hadn’t had supported it, I would have probably just been content with not wrestling again. But, here we are!”

The status of Impact Wrestling:

“I think it is on the up-swing. Here’s why it is on the up-swing. If you look at right before we got on Spike TV, in 2004, we were FOX Sports Net. Then, in 2005, our contract expired with Fox Sports Net and we were finding a new network, shopping the show, seeing where we were going to go. During that time, our show (Impact) was kind of like, on the Internet until we got our Spike TV deal. The guy writing the show, at that time, was Scott D’Amore and I felt like it was some of the best wrestling writing we ever had on the show. Once we got onto Spike TV, new writers came in and then you had the Vince Russos, whoevers and whatnots. It kind of got saturated and everyone’s different ideas… Whatever! Now it’s back and one of the head writers, one of the guys on the creative team, is Scott D’Amore! He writes what the fans want to see. He doesn’t try to make it super-intricate in detail and hard to follow. Very basic. But, it is the very basic emotions all the wrestling fans feed off of. Scott D’Amore gives that to them. I think that’s good wrestling television. That’s why I think it is on the up-swing. That was part of me coming back too! He told me all the guys on the creative team and these were guys I thought wrote good TV in 2004 and 2005 when we were on our first up-swing.”

Why he retired suddenly in 2014:

“I did everything I wanted to do in wrestling. I kind of escaped the wrestling business without any long term super life threatening injuries. I said, “I’m still young, I can still do whatever I want to do.” I only had one kid at the time. I retired pretty much 1 month before my 2nd daughter was born. I said, “I’m good. I made my mark on wrestling.”