Samoa Joe recently took to Twitter to comment on the upcoming Mixed Match Challenge and made a remark that some considered to be sexist. Joe stated that due to the “impending #WWEMMC” he will now have a full-time towel attendant ringside for him:

*Special Announcement*
Due to the impending #WWEMMC , I will now have a full time towel attendant ringside while I pummel the other male participants in the tournament unconscious.
Thank you,
-The Management

— Samoa Joe (@SamoaJoe) December 14, 2017

James McKenna of Pro Wrestling Sheet took issue with this comment, calling it ‘lame’ and urged the former NXT Champion to re-think his words:

this statement is really lame dude.

i have always heard good things about you and in assuming best intentions I think you’re playing up heel stuff.

that said it reads like you just called the equally stellar women’s division towel attendants. please re-think it. https://t.co/xly1azMar3

— james mckenna (@chillhartman) December 14, 2017

Joe responded by defending his initial comments, refusing to apologize for how McKenna interpreted the Tweet:

How you interpret it is your business does not matter if it is a man, woman, or alien (extraterrestrial if you must). You stand in the corner hold my towel and don’t mess up my tournament run. I have equal opportunity disdain for all just in case anyone feels left out.

— Samoa Joe (@SamoaJoe) December 14, 2017