As we’ve previously posted, Scott D’Amore and New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) color commentator Don Callis were recently hired by IMPACT Wrestling as Executive Vice President. They will each now be reporting to President Ed Nordholm. Callis and D’Amore recently joined Chris Jericho’s podcast, Talk Is Jericho, to discuss their hiring, the future of the company, and so much more.

During the podcast, “Y2J” actually revealed that he personally called IMPACT Wrestling to suggest they bring Callis aboard. Jericho claimed that IMPACT needs new people at the helm who hadn’t run the company before. He also said that the hiring of Billy Corgan was an upgrade over Dixie Carter, however, it didn’t present a new direction for fans to get excited about, thus the reason why they should hire Callis:

“My thought process was, and this is not a slight on anyone that has ran that company or been part of that company, working with that company, that has been around for so long, through so many incarnations and through all its ups and downs, and now I found with the last incarnation with TNA/Global Force is that it was a dead company.

“There was nothing exciting about it or sparking it, so to me, the only way to get it rolling would be to completely change directions and go with somebody new and different,” Jericho said. “When Billy Corgan was up for it I would have much rather him run it over Dixie Carter because it was somebody new, and I just really felt that it was my place to call the guys and say, listen, if you guys really want to lose money go for it, or use it as a tax write off then you have the right place.

“But if you really want to do something and role with it and be at a place where people are excited about then you have to go in this direction, and these guys [Callis and D’Amore] are the guys to do it with. So that was basically the gist of the conversation and it worked because here you guys are, but this is really the only way the company to grow is by doing something completely different and new.”