Former NXT Champion Drew McIntyre was inducted into the ICW Hall Of Fame earlier this month. The icon of Scottish wrestling helped grow and define Insane Championship Wrestling into the phenomenon they are today.

McIntyre (known as Galloway on the independent scene) had two stints for the company, his first back in 2006 when he appeared at the company’s inaugural event and became their first ever Heavyweight Champion and his second followed his 2014 release from WWE. Drew’s run from 2014-2017 completely reignited his career and fundamentally changed the course of ICW’s already incredible success story.

Drew recently spoke to SPORTBible on his induction and revealed his thoughts on the Scottish scene in general:

“It’s crazy, the idea I’m going into the ICW hall of fame, with everything that ICW had achieved is pretty incredible. For a start I’m 32 and going into a hall of fame, that’s pretty mental. But when you break it down and put it into perspective there wasn’t any Scottish wrestling scene when I started wrestling, aged 15, 17 years ago, Mark Dallas was the first guy I met in the whole of professional wrestling. He told me he wanted to be a promoter one day, I told him I wanted to be in the WWE one day. And that was the first guy I met and we had big dreams, there was nothing and we started the scene back then.

He started ICW, I was the first champion, I left, the BBC documentary came around and it started taking off. There was 1500 people when I made my return, we all worked together and we all busted our arses and we built that number from 1500 to over 6000 for the biggest indie show of all time. All the things the guys are saying online about me, the roster, all the compliments, they all mean the world to me but it really was a team effort to be able to change so much and I really am so proud to be recognised and going into the ICW hall of fame.”