New Japan Pro Wrestling has announced that Katsuyori Shibata will be the Head Coach of their new Dojo in Los Angeles. New Japan recently revealed that they will be running a camp on March 19th to scout for future talent in the United States and now ‘The Wrestler’ has been confirmed as the head of the training school.

Speaking to NJPW1972.com, Shibata had this to say about his new position:

“With rehab and training, I’ve been sensing it’s time to move past the struggle of finding what I am capable of doing. These days, I’ve had a burning desire to take on a new challenge… What can I do in my current state? I thought a change of pace was needed, and the next thing I knew, I found myself in Los Angeles.

By some twist of fate, my thoughts happened around the time the new NJPW dojo was being set up in LA. While getting the dojo ready, I had the chance to assemble the ring with some of the young wrestlers and train with them, and I found myself doing wrestling moves I haven’t been able to do before.

The good, classic Japanese pro-wrestling is starting to disappear from the current wrestling world. But we must never lose that fighting attitude and spirit of traditional Japanese pro-wrestling. I have accepted the mission to open the gates and transcend the cultural differences to pass down our knowledge to the younger generation. As the NJPW dojo opens in Los Angeles mid-March, I wanted to share my thoughts as I announce that I, Katsuyori Shibata, will lead the LA dojo as the head coach.”

Katsuyori Shibata to be Head Coach of New Japan Dojo in Los Angeles!

— njpw_global (@njpwglobal) March 5, 2018