As we’ve noted, SmackDown Live Commissioner Shane McMahon announced that Kevin Owens would be taking on Sami Zayn at WrestleMania 34. This was announced shortly before Shane took an indefinite leave of absence from his duties as SmackDown Live Commissioner. Shortly thereafter, Owens and Zayn viciously attacked McMahon which caused a storyline injury.

Bryan Alvarez speculated on Wrestling Observer Live that he can’t imagine another scenario other than a Triple Threat match between Owens, Zayn, and McMahon at WrestleMania 34. He also expects General Manager Daniel Bryan to serve as the Special Guest Referee for the bout.

Alvarez said WWE has put too much effort into this storyline for it to simply conclude with Owens vs. Zayn in a singles match:

“There are four weeks left until WrestleMania, I presume it will be Shane McMahon, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens in a three-way with Daniel Bryan as the guest referee. I don’t know that for sure but I can not fathom the idea that they spent this much time building up something and then at the end of the day he’s just off the show because he got beaten up.

“I mean they played it up like it was near death but he’s a McMahon and I presume he will be back in a few weeks and build up that match with those two guys. So, I think that match will be added to Mania.”