Impact World Champion Austin Aries was recently a guest on the Wrestling Compadres podcast to talk about various topics.

Many fans were caught off guard when the news broke last year that the WWE and Aries had parted ways. The news seemed to come out of nowhere and was a shock to fans.

Aries, who signed with the company back in 2016 and last appeared on television in May on 205 Live, had been in a top position in the cruiserweight division prior to his departure from WWE. He was a big star on 205 Live on the WWE Network.

He decided to go back to Impact Wrestling and is currently their World Champion.

When ROH held their 16th Anniversary Show, the former ROH World Champion made a surprise appearance by walking out to the stage. Aries wasn’t advertised to appear, but he did challenge Kenny King for his ROH World TV Championship.

During this interview, he gave some insight into his free agent status. Here is what he had to say:

“I have an agreement in place with a certain amount of dates which would get me through a certain amount of time, which would be different than your typical contracts as we think of them. We have sat down and talked about some things about the future and what it looks like in their standpoint. There is interest for them to keep me. I have some interest too to continue to hone my skills,” he said. “I think there is a lot of positive momentum right now and I think that the things that are trying to be done with the company align philosophically with some of the same things that I believe in as far as doing business in this landscape so we will see what happens. With that being said, I definitely value my freedom. Right now, it is truly unprecedented to be an independent contractor in Professional Wrestling. To be able to go out there and make your money and travel the places that you want to go, so at the end of the day there is a lot of opportunities out there.”