WWE Hall Of Famer and WWE commentator Jim Ross was recently interviewed on former WWE Tag Team Champions Edge and Christian’s podcast, E&C’s Pod Of Awesomeness. One top of discussion for Ross was the early days of former WWE Champion The Rock. Ross discussed Rock’s unrivaled confidence and stated that “The Great One” knew what he wanted even before he signed with WWE:

“He’s a different breed of cat, as you boys know.” Ross explained, “and he’s very special in a lot of ways. I never had anybody that basically hit me right between the eyes with a statement of, ‘I’m going to be your top guy’ when he hadn’t even made his first trip to Stamford [Connecticut] I don’t think.

“So, I mean, he had ‘it’ going for him and confidence in where he wanted to go. He had a direction. He knew what road he wanted to travel and not like anyone else who is human on the road, the road is the road, but, professionally, he knew just what he wanted and nothing was going to stop him.”

He then discussed why it’s good for Superstars to have a good rapport with Vince McMahon, and those who disrespect him will be “S.O.L”:

“I think, guys, when they come to work for WWE, the best thing that they can do, on a legitimate, organic, as real as it can be basis, have some sort of rapport with Vince. You have to have a rapport built on respect.” Ross continued, “don’t confront, converse, because if you confront him, you’re S.O.L. It’s disrespectful and it’s not the place to be disrespectful unless you’re just a dumbass. That’s how that worked out, but that’s the deal.”

Ross noted that The Rock was very good at building a relationship with Vince McMahon early on in his career:

“The Rock got to that level of having a good rapport with Vince really, really quick.” Ross elaborated, “I mean, they had their grandpas, The High Chief [Peter Maivia] to talk about, or Rocky Johnson, and The Rock himself. And, of course, Vince is a smart guy – he saw what we had. He knew. He knew. When you get Secretariat, you welcome him in the barn.”