Rocky Romero likes having free reign in New Japan Pro Wrestling.

Throughout the years, Romero has found success in NJPW’s junior heavyweight and junior tag team divisions. As Black Tiger IV, Romero captured the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title. He’s also captured IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team gold eight times.

Nowadays, Romero finds himself as the head honcho of Roppongi 3K along with Sho and Yoh. Romero was the coach of the team, but recently revealed Sho and Yoh no longer need to be coached. He still accompanies them to the ring and acts as a manager.

UPROXX recently caught up with Romero, who talked about his creative freedom in NJPW:

“We have all the creativity in New Japan. We really have free reign there. Character-wise you can do whatever you want, you can say whatever you want. There’s no restrictions to anything. That’s why you’ve seen those funny, mean videos of Tama Tonga and Tanga Roa cursing up a storm.

“There’s nobody to tell us that we can’t. Really, to work for such a big company and have that much freedom, it’s unheard of. I didn’t have to separate things or compartmentalize and say ‘Okay, well I’m going to use this for this.’ It was like cool, the music fit into the character, then this, and I just added stuff that was actually me and not just playing a role for somebody like I did in Mexico whatever. It just all came together and then I just kept coming. I was just like I’m going to keep creating stuff until somebody tells me, ‘Hey, you should stop doing that, because it’s not very good.'”