SmackDown GM Daniel Bryan took part in a Q&A session during WrestleMania Axxess. Bryan was asked if he had his eyes set on any of the talent in NXT as SmackDown’s GM. The crowd briefly chanted “Johnny” before Bryan answered. Below is Daniel’s response:

“I have known one person specifically for a while. There is a ton of talent in NXT, I mean the tag match that you guys just saw with Jack Gallagher, Martin Stone (Danny Burch), Tony Nese and Oney Lorcan.. I mean those guys are just so talented. There are so many people on NXT who are extremely talented.

But there is one guy I want to lose tonight because I want to steal him and that is Johnny Gargano. I am making it public, I want Johnny Gargano on SmackDown Live!”

Johnny Gargano will battle Tommaso Ciampa tonight at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans. Gargano and Ciampa were once a tag team in NXT, but Tommaso betrayed Johnny last year at NXT TakeOver: Chicago.

Ciampa then missed significant time due to an injury. During that time, Gargano became a star as a singles competitor and earned a shot at the NXT Championship at NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia. Gargano came up just short in an excellent match against NXT Champion Andrade “Cien” Almas. Ciampa returned after the match and stuck Gargano with a crutch on the entrance ramp. Gargano would get another shot at the NXT Championship on the February 21st episode of NXT. In order to be granted another shot at the title, Gargano had to put his NXT career on the line. Tommaso Ciampa interfered in the match, costing Gargano his opportunity at the NXT Championship and his career.

A month later, Johnny Gargano blended in with the crowd at Full Sail University and attacked Tommaso Ciampa while he was pacing around the ring. Ciampa asked NXT GM William Regal to do something about. Regal announced that Ciampa will face Gargano in an Unsanctioned match at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans. If Ciampa wins, Gargano is gone from NXT for good. If Gargano wins the match, he will be rejoin the NXT roster.