World Association of Wrestling (WAW) has announced that former Premier League football (soccer) player Grant Holt will be swapping his studded boots for wrestling boots and entering the squared circle for the very first time.

The 37 year old who previously played for the likes of Aston Villa and Norwich still plays professionally for National League side Barrow, he will be teaming with Roy and Zak Knight (the UK Hooligans) at FightMare 3 in 2019.

This has been an incredibly successful move for the WAW promotion as the mainstream media attention has been rolling over the past few days with the BBC, Independent, Fox Sports, Sky Sports and more featuring the brand heavily whilst focusing on Holt.

When asked about his upcoming move to wrestling Holt stated “If I want to do something, I do it properly. I love a challenge. It’s going to be great, a big show next year in June, which will be fantastic, so I’m really looking forward to it. Everyone knows how big it [wrestling] is in America but there’s a lot of stuff going on in the UK and I just don’t think it gets enough press. Hopefully, off the back of this, it will."