Today marks the 9 year anniversary of Japanese wrestling legend Mitsuharu Misawa’s passing. Several stars from the likes of WWE, New Japan Pro Wrestling and beyond have posted tributes to one of the greatest performers of all time (you can see these at the bottom of the article).

Misawa made his professional debut in August of 1981 for All Japan Pro Wrestling. Misawa would go on to inherit the position of AJPW President following the passing of Giant Baba in 1999 and he went on to form the now iconic Pro Wrestling NOAH promotion.

Misawa is regarded as one of the greatest performers in the history of the industry, he famously garnered a six star rating from Dave Meltzer for his bout against Toshiaki Kawada in 1994 and his trilogy against Kenta Kobashi is heralded alongside Flair/Steamboat as one of the greatest ever.

Several stars such as Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno, William Regal and Daniel Bryan regard Misawa as one of their in ring inspirations. The Pro Wrestling NOAH promotion also holds a tribute show every June in honour of their founder.

9 Years ago, we lost a legend.
RIP Misawa. pic.twitter.com/JRdVDNfAxc

— ????????? (@WillOspreay) June 13, 2018

It has been 9 years since we said goodbye.

We miss you #RIPMisawa pic.twitter.com/AvDvsTarAy

— Hideo Itami / ???? (@HideoItami) June 13, 2018

9 years ago Misawa passed. I wish I could’ve met him and shared our loves of Pro Wrestling and video games. Thank you for founding @noah_ghc providing a place for a #gaijin like me to wrestle in #japan #prowrestling #wrestling #nippon #heavyweight #ripmisawa #rip pic.twitter.com/PX7AiBTdXW

— Jay Bradley (@JayBradleyPW) June 13, 2018