Carmella was ready for Asuka. She defeated her last night at Money in the Bank thanks to a returning James Ellsworth. In the closing moments of the match, Ellsworth appeared in disguise at ringside. As the challenger was distracted by Ellsworth in an Asuka mask, Carmella hit a super-kick and pinned her for the win.

The victory is Carmella’s second successful title defense on WWE programming, her first coming against former champion, Charlotte Flair. Carmella has defended it 20x when you include house shows, however.

WWE.com caught up with Ellsworth and Carmella following the match.

EXCLUSIVE: People didn't think @CarmellaWWE was ready for @WWEAsuka, but she proved them WRONG tonight! Right, @realellsworth? #MITB #MellaIsMoney pic.twitter.com/mJBUMSYIaA

— WWE (@WWE) June 18, 2018

Carmella had this to say on Twitter following her victory last night:

I beat @MsCharlotteWWE. I beat @WWEAsuka. If you haven’t figured it out yet now you know, the smart money is on Mella. #AndStill #MellaIsMoney ??

— Smackdown Womens Champion (@CarmellaWWE) June 18, 2018

James Ellsworth had the following to say regarding the reaction he received from the Chicago fans.

I’ll never forget that love you showed me #Chicago THANK YOU!! #MITB

— James Ellsworth (@realellsworth) June 18, 2018

In the days and weeks leading to Money in the Bank, rumors began to circulate Ellsworth could be at the event. Ellsworth countered by stating he was booked for Middle Kingdom Wrestling in China that day.

Last week, Middle Kingdom Wrestling announced that Ellsworth had informed them at the last minute that he would not be attending the event. The company released the following statement regarding his canceled booking:

“James Ellsworth was scheduled to appear this weekend (June 16/17, 2018) in Harbin, China as part of Middle Kingdom Wrestling presents Eyes on the Prize and an MKW Meet N Greet party. This booking has been in place since February.

James Ellsworth informed us last night that he will not be traveling to China. This news came after repeated attempts by MKW management to contact Ellsworth over the last six days to confirm travel arrangements.”

Ellsworth also played a major role in last year’s Money in the Bank PPV as well. On that night, he helped Carmella win the first-ever women’s Money in the Bank match.