Former WWE World Heavyweight Champion Jack Swagger recently did an interview with Wrestling Inc. to talk about several professional wrestling topics. One such topic was the controversial “We The People” gimmick he sported alongside his former manager Zeb Colter in WWE.

2013’s Real Americans rhetoric was very anti-immigration and garnered a solid mixture of support and hate while trying to portray a heel persona. After attracting some negative feedback from mainstream news outlets, the gimmick was toned down a bit.

Swagger explained why the gimmick was so short-lived and how it tackled real-life political and controversial issues:

“It was definitely cut short but it’s one of things where it is not my company. I think ‘We the People’ is an example of why pro wrestling is so cool because it was a storyline that started out very political and very controversial and very nasty,” Hager said.

“It really evolved into a movement of the people, not just American people, but people everywhere. Our fans around the world still say it and they have taken it to make it their own. It is more of that universe than it is mine.

“I am just happy to be part of it. It’s just cool because you can do something in pro wrestling and have it evolve and just watch it transgress it’s pretty cool.”