Following reports that the UFC had planned on David Branch fighting perennial welterweight challenger, Jacare Souza at UFC Sao Paulo on September 22nd, it appears that the bout is all but dead in the water.

Branch has been campaigning on Twitter for the bout recently. The former WSOF champion has accused the Brazilian of rejecting the bout offer:

Officially we were being told by the ufc the man who calls himself the alligator has been neutered @JacareMMA has declined to fight in his Homeland.

— David Branch (@DavidcBranchMMA) June 19, 2018

I just want to be clear to everyone I’ve been offered to fight JACARE main event August 22nd in Brazil and he’s not feeling confident enough to take the fight. @arielhelwani @DamonMartin @bokamotoESPN @sherdogdotcom @NewYorkRic @lthomasnews

— David Branch (@DavidcBranchMMA) June 12, 2018

The Brazilian (25-6), is coming off of a loss in his previous bout. Souza came up short in split-decision loss to Kelvin Gastelum in Rio De Janiero, this was following his impressive run in the division which culminated with a first-round knockout of Derek Brunson. Since then, Jacare has lost momentum.

Branch, a former two-division WSOF champion (22-4), lost to Luke Rockhold, however, he bounced back and his most recent win was a stoppage over Thiago Santos. He is 2-1 since his return to the organization.

According to MMA Fighting, who reached out to Souza’s manager, they received a five-round bout agreement from the UFC, though, the fight does not interest them.

“Dave Branch was offered to us twice in 18 months. and ‘Jacare’ agreed both times, but he jumped ship” Gilberto Faria said.

“‘Jacare'” wants to fight someone ranked higher in the middleweight division, like rematches with Yoel Romero or Kelvin Gastelum, or a fight with Chris Weidman.”

Faria continued “It doesn’t make sense to fight Dave Branch now, Jacare’ is not in a hurry, he will sit down like everyone else does and wait for a bigger fight. ‘Jacare’ has always fought opponents ranked lower than him, and it’s time to face someone ahead of him.”

Souza lost to both Gastelum and Romero in what they feel were controversial decisions. With both Gastelum and Weidman now calling for title shots against Robert Whittaker following Whittaker’s decision win over Yoel Romero in their second bout at UFC 225.

With the division now looking for the next contender to challenge Whittaker, Jacare may feel that his next bout could see him either in position or in range at least for a title eliminator bout in the near future.

With the bout between Branch and Souza now seemingly a no-go, the UFC is in need of a new main-event idea for the Sao Paulo card in September which still has yet to have any announced bouts.

Branch is still doing his part to make the bout happen:

I’m passionate about this fight and this is my message to @JacareMMA @danawhite @Mickmaynard2 and the @ufc let’s see who’s the best. I love my job pic.twitter.com/4oyxFlL2Na

— David Branch (@DavidcBranchMMA) June 20, 2018