Ring Of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling star Cody Rhodes recently did an interview with ESPN to talk about several professional wrestling topics. “The American Nightmare” first discussed getting through the process of putting together he and The Young Bucks’ self-funded “All In” event on September 1st:

“I don’t want to complain about it because I’ve had my whole career to get to this position, and now I’m in it. The last thing I need to do is complain. A couple sleepless nights, a couple extra checks written — that’s why I surround myself with such a great team.

“I’m an independent pro wrestler, but I’ve got a manager, I’ve got an agent, I’ve got a publicist, I got the three best dogs in the world, and I have the best woman on earth. If I didn’t have Brandi, none of this would be happening. I’d still be putting that Stardust suit on, doing Jim Carrey Riddler.”

Rhodes then talked about earning the current spot he’s in after years of hard work. Despite the naysayers, the former WWE star has shared the ring with some of the best the sport has ever seen and knows he can compete at any level:

“I think fans of mine who are already on the bandwagon, God bless them, thank you for being there, but I think this is a great jumping-off point if you’re looking at what is Cody Rhodes. I think I’ve proven the naysayers wrong about, ‘Oh, he’s just ex-WWE,’ and the new set of naysayers, ‘Oh, he can’t compete at this level.’

“I can compete at any level. I’ve been doing this since I was 15 years old. Every time someone told me I couldn’t, I did. I’m still the same guy who’s responsible for one of the better Intercontinental runs of all time and changing that title. I’m still the guy who shared the ring with The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Triple H when they were still actually active.

“And I’m aware, as my wife loves to hear. It’s not different than any sport in the world where the best wrestlers are gonna get the best spots. That spot is for me, because I’ve earned it.”