Bret Hart has been openly critical of his brother Owen’s widow, Martha. According to the Hitman, Martha Hart’s continued efforts to prevent WWE from using Owen’s image has been detrimental to his legacy.

“I think Martha, Owen’s widow, she’s a very obtuse, square-headed person,” Hart said recently. “I think she’s done more to erase my brother Owen’s memory than she ever did to remember him.”

Marth Hart published her response to Bret’s comments on the Owen Hart Foundation website.

“The suggestion by Bret Hart that I am “erasing” the memory of my late husband, Owen Hart, is reckless, irresponsible, and clearly untrue,” Martha’s statement begins.

“Bret’s comments are rooted in the fact that I have steadfastly refused to work with the WWE to exploit Owen’s image for commercial gain. Owen was an incredible entertainer and I know that his many fans around the world enjoyed his wrestling career immensely. I encourage them to continue to do so. But I am firm in my belief that the WWE was responsible for Owen’s death. As a result, I cannot and will not support any efforts by the WWE to profit from Owen’s memory.”

After giving the above statement regarding why Martha refuses to work with WWE, she then spoke on the work the Owen Hart Foundation has done and how that work honors Owen’s memory.

“Instead, I, my son Oje and daughter Athena have worked tirelessly to honor Owen through the good works of The Owen Hart Foundation, which has exceeded $4 million in gift giving and contributions toward scholarships, home owner bursaries, and other special projects that have greatly improved the lives of so many in Canada and around the world. We have always believed that this is the most fitting public tribute to a man of profound integrity; a wonderful human being who just happened to wrestle. I know that Owen would be very proud of the tremendous accomplishments the Foundation has achieved in his name.”

According to Bret’s book, Bret and Martha were very close in the days following Owen’s death. Over the years, however, the topic of WWE using Owen’s likeness has driven a significant wedge between them.

“Bret Hart’s comments are disrespectful and cruel. It is disappointing that so many in the media have chosen to report them without seeking my perspective. Whatever Bret may believe, the fact is that, far from “erasing” Owen’s memory, I have devoted the last 20 years to celebrating his life in a very public way. I can think of very few people who have been remembered so glowingly by their spouse.”