John Cena took part in a Q&A session at the San Diego Comic Con recently. He was asked what it is like to play a villainous role in a movie. In answering the question, Cena also addressed the possibility of his WWE character turning heel.

“To actually answer your question, I think it is a really great opportunity,” Cena said. “I have had a great career in the WWE and for that entire time I have been the good guy and that kind of went into my films so far, and now it doesn’t seem like my character in the WWE will ever evolve into that bad guy role that perhaps a lot of people have wanted; so this is kind of a way for my fans from that aspect of my career to see that side of me.

So, don’t expect heel John Cena in the WWE – that’s Inside Baseball talk for some of you,” Cena continued. “But it means bad guy John Cena isn’t happening there, so this is that chance for me.”

According to former WWE writer, Kevin Eck, there were plans to turn Cena heel in 2012.

“We were very close. We had Vince sign off on it at one point and Cena was on board to do it,” Eck said. “We started making plans for it and then Vince got cold feet “. He further added, “we had signed an exclusive Cena merchandise deal with Walmart”.