Former WWE and IMPACT Wrestling star Chris Masters was recently interviewed by WSVN-TV Entertainment Reporter Chris Van Vliet during That Wrestling Event in Orlando. Masters first opened up on why he asked for his release from IMPACT Wrestling back in January.

Masters was initially with WWE from 2003 to 2007 when he was released from his contract. He had a two year run on the independent circuit before making a return to the company in 2009. That run lasted two years until he was released from his deal again in August of 2011.

He went on to work for TNA in 2015 and returned in 2017 to IMPACT Wrestling. That run only lasted several months before Masters requested his release from the promotion in January of 2018, and it was subsequently granted:

“I like that group and I had a lot of fun there with those guys. It just came down to in the end that it wasn’t really enough money once they started cutting the budget for me to really show up to work. That’s all it was. I like Eli Drake but I didn’t favor the way they had me booked as his cheerleader unless it turned out into something we could do with a program and work with him and it eventually led to him being a babyface and me a heel.

“If we would have done that, it would have worked out great but I would have also wanted to be paid adequately. It just came down to those facts and obviously I just ended up quitting. I literally just after two days at the taping, booked a flight back to Toronto and just decided I wasn’t coming back. I reached out to them when I landed in Toronto and told them I wouldn’t be coming into work and that was it. It was as simple as that.

“My 35th birthday came around and something in my head just popped in and I said I’m not going to do anything that doesn’t make me feel good or that I don’t want to do at this point and that was one of the starts.”

Masters also talked about his days working as a bouncer at a bar, named the strongest wrestler he has ever worked with, reveals how often he watches wrestling now and much more in the full interview. You can check it out below: