When Ronda Rousey first debuted in WWE she was worried fans would not support her. Although she has had her share of detractors throughout her career, the WWE Universe has been largely supportive and enthusiastic for Rousey’s pro-wrestling career.

“I really was not expecting it at all,” Rousey said to the associated press of the support she’s received from wrestling fans. “The WWE universe is very protective of their love and their art and they don’t want people flippantly coming in and disrespecting it and trying to capitalize off of it.”

Rousey would continue to talk about how she wanted to win over the fans’ respect.

“I wanted the WWE universe to know that this is something that is just as important to me as it is to them, and this isn’t a ‘get rich quick’ scheme for me,” she continued. “This is something I really, really care about and want to contribute to. Like, I really, really want the WWE to be better off because I was part of it, and I would love for that to come across to the fans as well.”

Rousey also spoke on how judo helped in her in her childhood battle with hypoxia, a condition which hinders speech.

“I had a speech/motor disorder called hypoxia growing up,” Rousey said. “It was very difficult for me to speak, so the way that I enjoy being able to communicate and interact with people is physically.”

“I was very shy to make friends and things like that, she continued. “If you’re doing something with somebody it’s easier to make friends.”