New Japan Pro Wrestling President, Harold Meij, has penned a column in Japanese stating the promotion will not become an American-style wrestling company.

There have been complaints the last few weeks regarding the style of wrestling often featured in this year’s G1 Climax tournament. In addition to the frequent interference from Tama Tonga, Bad Luck Fale and Tanga Loa, Jay White also frequently used interference and American-style wrestling tactics.

Meij himself became involved in the proceedings, helping to have the Firing Squad ejected from the building the final night.

“From Harold Meij’s latest column. He regrets how Saturday came across, addresses concerns of NJPW becoming like ‘American wrestling’,” Tweeted Chris Charlton. “He ‘never planned’ on being involved in proceedings and says he has no intentions on being anything but an executive.”

Harold Meij is a Dutch businessman who has been active in the Japanese market and speaks the language fluently. He addressed the idea of a perceived foreigner running the company during an interview earlier this summer.

“I think there are long-time fans that must be worrying, ‘What? The operator is a foreigner? What’s going to happen?’ Because I look like a foreigner, you know?” Meij said. “They worry that New Japan might change. I wanted to come myself as the president and talk with the fans to alleviate any anxiety they might have.”