Since splitting from The Shield in 2014, Roman Reigns has had an interesting relationship with the WWE fans while being presented as the top babyface performer in the company.

Reigns spoke to Yahoo! Sports to promote the upcoming SummerSlam pay-per-view event that takes place this Sunday (August 19, 2018) in Brooklyn, New York at the Barclays Center on the WWE Network.

Reigns was asked about the fans that decide to boo him despite being a babyface at WWE events, which he stated that he thinks they’re like closet lovers as you can say whatever you want, but it’s how you say it that matters. He noted that the way they deliver it, they’re more connected to him more than their favorites. At the end of the day, he wants to pull on whatever string he wants and it just goes to show there’s a deep rooting there.

“[The crowd reaction] doesn’t really matter to me, as long as they’re really loud, that’s all I really care about. There could be certain moments where they try to hijack shows and all of that, but by the end of the match, they’re standing up so I’ve been blessed. I really do think that if they love to hate you, they still love you.”

Reigns also spoke about WWE having Lesnar hold the WWE Universal Championship, which he looks at it as business because he can’t worry about the things that happen in Vince McMahon’s or the main people’s office because if they did have a Universal Champion that showed up on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, those live events are probably going to be a lot better. He believes that it’s going to be a better and more lucrative situation for business all around.

“I think I speak for everybody who busts their ass on all of those days, that yeah, we want to make more money, fill in more of those seats. I want to take [the WWE universal title] to every single locker room, take it out of my gear bag and make all the guys see it and want it. That’s what’s going to make us better. We have to compete within ourselves. If there’s nothing to compete for, if there’s not the grandest title, how are we going to get better.”