Daniel Bryan has given the latest update on his future with the WWE and where things stand regarding him signing a new contract that would see him compete in the WWE for years to come.

The former WWE SmackDown GM spoke with Foxsports.com.au to talk about various topics. It’s been well documented that his contract is slated to expire on September 1st, 2018.

Bryan noted that a few things play into his decision to re-sign as he wants to spend time with his family but also for the first time in his career, he hired a lawyer to look at a contract, which is the reason that it’s taking longer than usual.

“My last contract I think I signed in 2012. So then, I wasn’t married – Brie and I were together, but I wasn’t married – so you’re just trying to get all of your ducks in a row, especially because I’m older, and married, and have a baby. It’s the responsibility and it’s crazy because a lot of us as WWE superstars, we end up not getting lawyers to look at our contracts, we just look at it and go ‘oh, ok, what’s this number, what’s this number? Oh fine, whatever,’ without reading the fine print.”

Bryan is slated to take on The Miz in a singles match at the upcoming SummerSlam pay-per-view event. When asked about this match taking place at SummerSlam rather than WrestleMania, Bryan noted that a lot of people have told him that. He stated that Royal Rumble and SummerSlam are considered as the second-biggest for WWE throughout the year. He pointed out that there are other big events in Australia and Saudi Arabia with thousands of fans in attendance.

“And they’re hoping for 70,000 people in Australia. So at what point does SummerSlam or Royal Rumble no longer become the second-biggest show of the year, and now why wouldn’t you say, ‘why don’t you save this match for Australia, in front of 70,000 people, the first time we’re doing a show of this size in Australia’? So there’s always room to say ‘you could have saved it for this, or saved it for that’.”

Bryan added that he thinks SummerSlam is a perfectly acceptable place for it to happen because as a kid, he liked SummerSlam more than WrestleMania and has history at SummerSlam.