Shawn Michaels officially ‘left the building’ back in 2010 when he announced his retirement from in ring competition in WWE but now eight years later, is there a chance he might consider a return to action?

While Michaels has never actually walked away from working with WWE, he’s only made occasional appearances in the ring like when he delivered his ‘Sweet Chin Music’ to a couple of people at WrestleMania 32.

Lately, Michaels has primarily been working as a WWE ambassador while helping his real life best friend Triple H promote brands like NXT internationally. Even at 53, Michaels can never go too far before somebody asks about the possibility that he could get back into the ring and mix it up with the next generation of superstars.

“I always try to explain it to people, if you take me as a younger version and put me in with those guys, of course it would be a blast, but at the same time I’d like to be the younger version of me and be in the ring with a Harley Race or a Buddy Rogers. But none of those things can really happen in real life,” Michaels said in a recent interview with “Inside the Ropes”.

“To put me in a singles match at WrestleMania, I was always thrilled to do it but it’s a very strenuous, it’s a very anxious, there’s a lot that goes into it, the anxiety. Once you get in there, and especially when it’s done, it’s phenomenal but the getting ready for it is 100-percent work and I don’t know that I want to put myself or my family through that, to go out there and try to steal the show at 53 for God’s sake.”

While Michaels quickly shot down the idea of getting in the ring with the new generation of athletes who are currently occupying the majority of the WWE roster, he had a different opinion about potentially appearing with the superstars closer to his era.

Obviously, Michaels is never going to return to any kind of full time schedule again but he didn’t shut the door on the possibility of mixing it up with somebody a little closer to his age.

“It’s a whole different ball of wax if somebody says do you [and Triple H] want to go down and work with some other 40-plus year old guys or 50 and mess around and be silly’. That doesn’t seem like work to me,” Michael stated.

“So it’s stuff like that, that I would consider. Nobody ever talks about that. It’s always me and somebody half my age.”